FanShot

Sports by the Numbers: Predicting Winners and Losers

Some of the conclusions he and his team reached in their analysis go against conventional wisdom. For example, "we found that, in baseball, spending money on pitching is far more effective than spending money on hitting," Wyner notes. "Convention says that you spend more money on hitting because more of your players are hitters. But we found that you get a more productive dollar when it’s spent on pitching." [Emphasis Added]