A Triple Play! Jays Beat Royals

April 20, 2012; Kansas City, MO, USA; Toronto Blue Jays right fielder Jose Bautista (19) is hit by a pitch in the first inning of the game against the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Denny Medley-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays 4 Royals 3

That was just the 4th triple play in Jays history, and it helped us win. In the 3rd inning, Alex Gordon doubled and Yuniesky Betancourt walked. Things looked bad, since we were already down 1-0. But Eric Hosmer lined a ball at Adam Lind, who caught it, stepped on first and threw to second for the triple play. If you blinked you would have missed it.

It sure helped out Kyle Drabek, who had a tough night. 5.1 innings, 4 hits, 6 walks, but just 2 earned. He was so good in his first couple of starts that I'll forgive this one, but I hope it isn't the start of a trend.

We got good work out of our bullpen, which hasn't happened all that much, so far this season. Luis Perez got 4 strikeouts in this 1.2 innings. Francisco Cordero pitched a scoreless inning. And Sergio Santos got our heart rates up, giving up a run to make it a 1 run game but he got out of the inning, with the tying run sitting at second, to earn his 2 save.

Our offense did just enough. The big inning was the 8th, we got 3 runs off Royals reliever Greg Holland, nice to see another team's bullpen can have troubles. Colby Rasmus doubled to start the inning. J.P. Arencibia singled him home. Yunel Escobar walked. And, after a balk, the Royals intentionally walked Kelly Johnson, to load the bases for Jose Bautista. Let me say that again, they intentionally walked Kelly Johnson to load the bases for Jose Bautista. Who does that? Is that not the dumbest move ever? Jose singled home one and Edwin Encarnacion hit a sac fly to give us a two run lead.

Jays of the Day: JP (.266 WPA), Colby (.163), and Luis Perez (.124). Honorary mention to Santos and Cordero.

Suckage? Well Adam Lind had a -.140, for an 0 for 4, but he got us that triple play. Yeah, I know it wasn't tough, but it was a triple play. Those don't happen everyday. Thames had a -.114, so we'll give it to him.

Tomorrow is a night game, 7:00 Eastern start and it is Drew Hutchison's major league debut. And, of course, I'm busy tomorrow night and won't be able to see it. I'll get you all to txt me to tell me how he is doing.

I forgot to mention that we got our first look at Tim (bits) Collins, former Jay pitching prospect. He pitched a clean inning for the Royals, helped out by a nice catch in LF.