Happy Birthday Omar Vizquel

Omar came into the league before catchers wore padding. He needs no stinking mask to do the job.. Credit: David Richard-US PRESSWIRE

Omar Vizquel turns 45 today (my sister turned 45 just yesterday). I don't think the Jays have ever had a player turn 45 as a member of their roster. He's not the oldest Jay ever. Phil Niekro was 48 when he pitched for the Jays in 1987. Omar is 10 years older than GM Alex Anthopoulos. It shows how much the game has changed, I remember back when the players were young and the GM's were old

Omar owns 11 Gold Gloves, his first came as a member of the Seattle Mariners in 1993. To put it into perspective, the Mariners played in the Kingdome back then. Anyone remember the Kingdome? That was one ugly building. Vizquel's first hit was on April 6th, 1989. Drew Hutchison was born August 22, 1990.

Omar spent 5 years with the Mariners, then in 1993 he was traded to the Indians for Felix Fermin, Reggie Jefferson and some money. He spent 11 years with the Indians, making it to the playoffs 6 times. From there he went to the Giants for 4 season, and has played for the Rangers and White Sox before joining the Jays.

Vizquel, in his 24th MLB season, now has 2842 hits, 451 doubles, 401 stolen bases, with a .272/.337/.353 slash line. I never try to outguess the BBWAA, but you'd have to figure the Hall of Fame is in his future. All he is missing is a World Series ring, maybe we could get him one this year?

Happy Birthday Omar, hope it is a good one. I hope Farrell let's you get into tonight's game.