FanPost

Frustration...

Like many members of this community, I am incredibly frustrated with some of the results so far this season. Ultimately I should be happy that the team is .500, the bats have not been consistent, the bullpen makes me hold my breath, and it is only 10 games in.

My frustration though mounts from who we have played so far in these first 20 games. When first looking at the Jays schedule seeing 3 games against the Indians, 3 against Red Sox, 6 against Orioles, 3 against the Rays, and 4 against the Royals I admit I got greedy. I saw the Indians, Orioles, and Royals as a chance to pick up some good wins, while trying to hold our own with the Red Sox and the Rays. Coming home from Cleveland 2-1, then taking two of three from the Red Sox had me quite pleased. While I didn't think they would sweep the O's, who played well against the Yankees in their previous series, I expected to win 2 out of 3. I could stomach dropping 2 of 3 to the Rays, and everything was made right when the 4 game sweep of the up and coming Royals occurred.

But after losing 5 of 6 to the Orioles, and then dropping last nights contest to the Mariners, I am actually starting to wonder how detrimental these early losses could be in the long run. By no means am I throwing in the towel in April, please do not read this post that way. I know the season is long, and there will be many hot streaks, and cold streaks. I just wonder is it better to be cold against teams you were expecting to get wins against (Orioles, Mariners), or is it better to do so in games against the tougher competition (Rangers, Yankees, Tigers)?

I really hope that the bullpen and bats can work with the starters to take these next two against the Mariners, the way the Rangers have been playing I don't like the looks of closing April and starting May with them.

As Mike Wilner would tell me, the AL East is close the Jays are only 3 games back...but I'd have to say based on the preseason predictions the Jays have had a fairly easy schedule to start this season, and they haven't capitalized on it the way I had hoped they would.