Second Guessing, Because That's What We Do, But Why Aaron Laffey?

Aaron Laffey (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)

The Jays sent Joel Carreno don't to Vegas bringing Aaron Laffey up, giving us 8 pitchers in the pen. Now I think having 7 Guys in the bullpen is a bit of overkill but that seems to be the way we doing things, 8 seems just nuts. I get that we used everybody, in the weekend series, but I wouldn't expect us to play 37 innings in a 3 game series very often.

I don't know why the Jays wouldn't call up David Cooper instead. Wouldn't it be nice to have a left-handed bat on the bench. Like it would have been yesterday, when we pinch hit for Jeff Mathis, in the 9th. I guess it worked out to use Ben Francisco, only because of the error on the Indians' shortstop, but wouldn't it have been nice to have a lefty on the bench to go into that spot.

I know the argument is that it would be best for Cooper to get to hit everyday, but I don't think we are looking at Cooper as our first baseman of the future. He hits well enough and all, but it doesn't have the power we'd like to have at the position. He only had 9 home runs in 120 games at Las Vegas last year. He's 25 now, so I don't expect the power to suddenly appear. So why not have him on the bench, in case he could win a game for us.

Laffey? He had a pretty nice spring and all, but I really don't want to see him in a game when there is a win on the line. They say they want another left-hander in the pen, because the Red Sox have a bunch of left-handed bats in their line up. Do any of us want to see Laffey coming out of the pen to face Adrian Gonzalez?

If was me, I'd bring Cooper up, and send him back down when we need a fifth starter. I'd ask for Snider, but I know they wouldn't go for that.