Toronto Blue Jays Sign Vladimir Guerrero To Minor League Deal

MINNEAPOLIS, MN - AUGUST 23: Vladimir Guerrero #27 of the Baltimore Orioles smiles in the dugout after scoring against the Minnesota Twins in the fifth inning on August 23, 2011 at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)

Minutes ago, Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported that the Toronto Blue Jays have signed former Expo, Angel, Ranger, and Oriole Vladimir Guerrero to a minor league contract. Guerrero will report to extended Spring Training in Dunedin. The contract is reported to be worth $1.3 million.

Vladimir Guerrero

6-3

235

Feb 09, 1975

The 37 year old Guerrero was the Orioles' DH last season, playing in 145 games and 590 plate appearances and hitting .290/.317/.416 with 13 homers, 30 doubles, and 63 RBI, but he hit into 23 double plays. Guerrero had a great 2010 and was named to the All-Star Game and received a Silver Slugger Award, hitting .300/.345/.496 with 29 homers and 115 RBIs. Guerrero is probably not able to play any defensive positions any more.

Like most Alex Anthopoulos moves, this signing came from nowhere. I am not sure what the Jays plan to do with Vladdy, and if this is connected to any moves that are forthcoming. I'm sure some Blue Jays fans would like to see Adam Lind shipped away with Edwin Encarnacion taking over first base and Guerrero DHing. I'm not sure if he can still hit with much power in the Major Leagues, and definitely he would be a defensive liability if he is ever needed to put on a glove.

Updates to come.

What do you think?

Thanks pho king awesome for throwing up the initial post!