Jose Bautista and J.P. Arencibia Homer: Jays Beat Yankees

Sorry, I just liked this picture of Edwin's glove, getting set for a pitch. You can click on the picture to see other photos of tonight's game. Credit: Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Yankees 1 Blue Jays 4

Even if it is just a 2 game series, I LOVE SWEEPING THE YANKEES.

Nice game tonight. Drew Hutchison pitched 6 innings and allowed only the 1 run. That's the good news. He walked 4, gave up 5 hits (3 of them doubles) and struck out just 3. He had a fair bit of luck. He gave up deep, hard hit fly balls but they found gloves, most of the time. I'm glad Rajai Davis was in left tonight, he made some nice catches. I'm not sure that Eric Thames would have made all of them.

The good news is that in his first few starts he had one bad inning in each that cost him. His last couple of starts he's been able to avoid those big innings. He finished with 7 ground outs and 4 fly outs.

Our bullpen had another great night. Jason Frasor, Darren Oliver and Casey Janssen each had perfect scoreless innings. Janssen picked up his third save, and each were 1, 2, 3 innings. I hope Sergio Santos comes back quickly, but I'm glad to have Janssen as closer.

On offense Jose Bautista and J.P. Arencibia each hit 2 run homers, giving us more than enough runs to win. We had 9 hits. Two each for Yunel Escobar, JP and Yan Gomes (the Brazilian leader in major league hits). O fors go to Kelly Johnson, Edwin Encarnacion and Colby Rasmus.

On the not so great side, Ben Francisco was thrown out at the plate on a squeeze bunt attempt by Rajai.

We had some great defense. Edwin Encarnacion, Omar Vizquel and Jose Bautista all had great plays. Credit to John Farrell for putting Vizquel in at third as a defensive replacement for Gomes.

Jays of the Day? Drew Hutchison has a .270 WPA, so, with some misgivings, I'm giving him one. Also Bautista (.124), Frasor (.099) and JP (.096) get one each. Kelly (-.126) and Edwin (-.111) get suckage awards, though they both had some good defense so I'm felling bad about giving them the honor.

We start a 3 game series with the other New York team starting tomorrow. The Mets come to town. Jon Niese (2-1, 3.40) takes on the Jays and Ricky Romero (4-1, 3.88). Ricky wants to bounce back from a bad start in Minneapolis, his last time out.

Congratulations to Yan Gomes for getting his first (and second) MLB hit. Great to see.

Great game tonight, maybe we can stop being told that Jays can't beat the good teams. Please. At least for a little bit.