With AA away, Syndergaard and DeSclafani came to play - Blue Jays Minor League Recap - May 17th 2012

May 17, 2012

Lansing 5 - Fort Wayne 1

With AA in Lansing specifically to watch Syndergaard and DeSclafani, the fearless duo did not disappoint. The beeg and strong Texan flamethrower Syndergaard went 4 innings of shutout, no-hit ball. He struck out 3 and walked just 1. According to twips from Chad Hillman (@HillmanChad) Syndergaard's fastball was 95-96 and his curve came in around 70 mp/h. The team has him working to close the speed gap between the two offerings, but I'm sure AA was impressed with his 19-year old pitcher. He got 8 outs on the ground vs. 1 in the air, but did miss a catch in picking up an error. DeSclafani started out absolutely perfect in 2 of his 4 innings of work in front of the boss (he struck out every batter he faced) but wound up giving up a run on a hit and sac fly. He ended up giving up 2 hits and no walks while striking out 8.

Hillman tweeted that the club's intention is to have Syndergaard, Sanchez and Nicolino spend the entire 2012 with the Lugnuts before more aggressively promoting them when they enter their 20s. We've seen the club accelerate timelines based on dominating performance before, so it wouldn't absolutely surprise me if we saw one or more of them move up before the fall. DeSclafani, being a little older and a college vet, is likely the first in line for a promotion and his performance thus far would seem to warrant it. The move also likely makes sense in that the club will soon need some space in the rotation as the Lansing 3 get stretched further and graduate from the piggybacking system employed thus far.

Noah Syndergaard - 4.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 8:1 GO:AO

28.2 IP, 1.88 ERA, 2.61 FIP, 23 H, 10 R (6 ER), 2 HR, 38:11 K:BB, 1.19 WHIP

Anthony DeSclafani - 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 1:2 GO:AO

31.0 IP, 2.61 ERA, 2.68 FIP, 35 H, 11 R (9 ER), 2 HR, 30:6 K:BB, 1.32 WHIP

Jonathan Berti - 2-2 - 1 R, 2 BB, 2 SB

.291/.407/.403 - .810 OPS

KC Hobson - 1-3 - 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 BB

.228/.281/.370 - .651 OPS

Carlos Perez - 1-4 - 1 R, 1 3B

.256/.324/.421 - .745 OPS

Kevin Pillar - 2-3 - 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 SB, 1 CS

.327/.389/.463 - .851 OPS

Dunedin 2 - Bradenton 1

Not much to see here. Kevin Nolan, Jon Talley, and Jack Murphy each had 2 hits. Marcus Knecht had the lone RBI (throwing error scored the other run) as he put some more distance from the Mendoza line going 1 for 4 with a single and a walk.

Jake Marisnick - 1-4 - 2 K, 1 SB (6)

.258/.335/.448 - .783 OPS

Kevin Nolan - 2-5 - 2 R, 1 2B

.327/.393/.453 - .846 OPS

Jon Talley - 2-5 - 1 2B, 1 K

.343/.444/.441 - .886 OPS

New Hampshire 3 - New Britain 1

Deck McGuire had a bounce back start of sorts but still has his work cut out for him to live up to the closest-to-the-Majors label some placed upon him that Hutch has already disproved. He gave up one run on 3 hits and 2 walks with 3 strikeouts in 6 innings of work.

Deck McGuire - 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 2:4 GO:AO. 83:48 Pitches:Strikes

38.2 IP, 6.75 ERA, 4.85 FIP, 30 R (29 ER), 25:12 K:BB, 1.55 WHIP

Ryan Goins - 1-2 - 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SF

.336/.380/.483 - .862 OPS

.Justin Jackson 2-4 - 2 R, 1 2B, 1 K

Memphis 8 - Las Vegas 1

The #FreeChavez campaign took a major blow yesterday as news that Jesse Chavez had given up 8 earned runs on 12 hits spread amongst the public. Despite striking out 5 without giving up a walk, Chavez could not slow the Memphis offence which lit him up for 6 doubles, a triple and a home run. I guarantee his call-up would not warrant the mini-celebration that Gomes caused as it would be a sure sign of injury/struggles if it were for more than a spot start or two. #TeamSnider watch back in effect as Travis stroked a double to go with two strikeouts. Really hope he can get back to where he was pre-injury sooner rather than later.

Jesse Chavez - 5.0 IP, 12 H, 8 R (8 ER), 5 K, 1 HR, 5:5 GO:AO, 76:54 Pitches:Strikes

53.0 IP, 3.74 ERA, 3.12 FIP, 41 H, 22 R (22 ER), 5 HR, 52:11 K:BB, 0.98 WHIP

Anthony Gose - 1-3 - 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K

.241/.322/.358 - .680 OPS

Adeiny Hechavarria - 2-3 - 1 RBI

.304/.356/.439 - .795 OPS