Shutout for Brandon Morrow: Blue Jays Beat Mets

Faked play of the game. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Mets 0 Blue Jays 2

Terrific game for Brandon Morrow. 9 innings, 3 hits, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts. He was great today. 6 ground outs, 5 fly outs. He stayed out of trouble almost all game.

There was a moment in the 9th, a lead off walk, then a one out hit. Mike Baxter hit one down the line in right. Jose Bautista got to the ball quick and made a nice throw to second. Yunel made a great phantom tag, missing the runner by a foot or so, but getting the call. Bad call, but almost impossible for the umpire to see, and Yunel sold it well. Next batter, Daniel Murphy lined out to Yunel to end the game and give Brandon his second shutout of the year.

Brandon didn't need many more good plays turned behind him. Jose made a nice catch on a ball hit over his head to end the 6th inning. Most of the other plays were pretty routine.

On offense, we got 2 runs in the 5th inning and that's all we needed. With 2 out, Jeff Mathis singled, Kelly Johnson drove him home with a double and then Yunel singled Kelly home.

We only had 6 hits, 2 each for Kelly and Yunel. A double and a walk for Edwin Encarnacion and Mathis' single.

Rajai Davis looked like he let the two homers yesterday get into his head, he was swinging hard, striking out 3 times. JP followed his 2 homers with an 0 for 4, with 3 strikeouts as well.

Jays of the Day are Morrow (.596 WPA) and Johnson (.158). Yunel gets an honorable mention for his .060 and that great swipe tag that wasn't. Extra points for acting. No Suckage awards, JP and Rajai tied at -.088 for the low mark.

Tomorrow Henderson Alvarez (3-3, 2.62) (how can you have a 2.62 ERA with almost no strikeouts?) tries to get the sweep for us against the Mets and Dillon Gee (2-3, 5.65). Another 1:00 Eastern start (I'm just putting that in for Hugo). We have a well rested pen, the Met's, not so much. It should be fun.

Great GameThread this afternoon. Thanks for all that joined in.