Vladdy, d'Arnaud Go Deep; Hernandez Spins a Gem - Blue Jays Minor League Recap - May 27th, 2012

Sorry I haven't managed to get one of these out in awhile. This might be just what the doctor ordered considering our woes of the last few days.

Lansing 10 - Lake County 1

In Lansing, the Lugnuts (35-14, 1st place in MWL) got a career high 7 innings from starter Jesse Hernandez who allowed just 1 run (1 earned) on 5 hits. He struck out 7 and did not yield a walk. On offense, SS Shane Opitz led the charge going 3 for 5 with a 3 run HR in the 3rd inning. In all, 6 Lugnuts had multi-hit games and the only 0-fer was from Chris Schaeffer who walked and scored twice.

Jesse Hernandez - 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1ER), 0 BB, 7 K

58.2 IP, 1.99 ERA, 2.65 FIP, 49 H, 15 R (13 ER), 1 HR, 36:9 K:BB, 0.99 WHIP

Jonathan Berti - 3-5 - 1 RBI, 1 BB

.291/.404/.388 - .792 OPS

Kevin Pillar - 3-5 - 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K

.313/.379/.429 - .808 OPS

KC Hobson - 3-5 - 2 R, 1 2B, 1 K

.238/.300/.363 - .663 OPS

Shane Opitz - 3-5 - 3 R, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 K

.291/.361/.382 - .742 OPS

Dunedin 12 - Brevard County 5

Seems a recently-signed Dominican(-Russian?) prospect named Vladimir Guerrero made his FSL debut and did not disappoint teammates and fans who had heard rumours about his batting practices. Vladdy went deep in the 8th on a solo shot and wound up 2 for 5 with two runs scored and a strikeout. This prospect's .400 BA compares most favourably with current ChiSox Paul Konerko; should he maintain this success, we can expect to see him in the big leagues soon.

Vladimir Guerrero - 2-5 - 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K

.400/.400/1.000 - 1.400 OPS

Kevin Nolan - 2-5 - 1 R, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K

.311/.390/.429 - .819

Jon Talley - 1-5 - 1 HR, 1 R, 4 RBI, 1 E

.321/.418/.453 - .871 OPS

Ryan Schimpf - 1-2 - 3 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 BB

.269/.330/.480 - .809 OPS

Binghampton 6 - New Hampshire 1

Not much to see here. Fisher Cats starter Fernando Hernandez went 3.1 IP and gave up 3 runs (2 earned) and reliever Sam Dyson yielded 3 unearned runs in his inning of work.The offense was managed just 1 run on 6 hits.

Mike McDade - 1-4

.326/.394/.526 - .920 OPS

Sean Ochinko - 1-4 - 1 R, 1 2B

.320/.346/.680 - 1.026 OPS

Brad Glenn - 2-4 - 2 2B

.205/.273/.378 - .651 OPS

Las Vegas 8 - Reno 3

Travis d'Arnaud continues to look ready to make an impact in the big leagues as he hit his 11th HR and added his 13th and 14th doubles of the season. Anthony Gose was 2 for 3 with a walk and stole two bases. Not to be outdone, Mike McCoy swiped 3 bags and reached safely 3 times on a single and two walks. Yan Gomes, re-adjusting to the lower level of competition, was 0 for 5 with a strikeout.

Travis d'Arnaud - 3-5 - 2 R, 2 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 K

.318/.376/.585 - .962 OPS

Anthony Gose - 2-3 - 3 R, 1 BB

.291/.372/.419 - .791 OPS

Adam Lind - 1-5 - 2 RBI, 3 K

.333/.447/.700 - 1.147 OPS

Yan Gomes - 0-5 - 1 K

.346/.378/.544 - .922 OPS

Over his last 10 games, d'Arnaud has a ridiculous .465/.500/1.070 batting line for an OPS of 1.570. He's hit 5 doubles and 7 home runs over that span with 8 strikeouts and 3 walks. After having a rough start to the season, d'Arnaud got simpler with his approach and stopped trying so hard to 'impress' his teammates and the results speak for themselves. Impressive.