Eric Thames Sent to Vegas, Mike McCoy Called Up

TORONTO, CANADA - MAY 18: Eric Thames #46 in his first Major League at bat against the Tampa Bay Rays during MLB action at the Rogers Centre May 18, 2011 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

Another day, another roster move. This one, a bit of a surprise. We did need an extra middle infield and Eric Thames, well, he wasn't hitting, he wasn't fielding and there isn't that much more to the game.

Anyway, Mike McCoy is on his way to Toronto. More frequent flier miles. McCoy was hitting .238/.381/.294 in 44 games at Vegas. Not exactly numbers that scream promote me, but he's here for his ability to play many positions. I doubt he will be here long.

Eric Thames was hitting .243/.288/.365 with 3 home runs in 46 games with the Jays. And his "much improved defense" didn't really show itself. I did want Travis Snider to win the job, out of spring training, but I didn't expect Eric to do this badly. I figured him to have numbers much like last year's. He didn't. I hope he finds his batting stroke in Vegas.

SB Nation Featured Video