FanShot

John Lott on Brandon Morrow in 2012 v. 2011

+

John Lott talks with Brandon Morrow about the differences in how he's approaching batters in 2012 vs. 2011. Money quote: "I know my mix probably wasn’t ideal before," he said. "The way I see it is that batters were looking hard and away a lot of the time. The right-handers would look to take that slider, and if it was a little bit up, shoot it out [to right field] or hit the fastball into that right-centre gap. I gave up a lot of line-drive hits that way to right-handers." I think this is pretty bang-on, based on looking at the pitchf/x data. Mixing in a third pitch if can command it consistently should really help him, especially against lefties to whom the slider is less effective