Three RBI Day For Brett Lawrie, Jays Beat Orioles

Casey Janssen. Mandatory Credit: Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Orioles 6 Blue Jays 8

So a better start from Ricky Romero, not great but better than last time out. Just 1 walk, 6 hits and 7 strikeouts. The bad part was he gave up 2 home runs and 4 earned in 6 innings.

Jason Frasor pitched a scoreless 7th, even giving up a single, double and walk. Darren Oliver started the 8, giving up 2 singles to go with his strikeout. Francisco Cordero came in and got out of the inning without allowing a run. Casey Janssen pitched the 9th, thankfully not a save situation, giving up a single, homer, double and walk, before finishing the game.

Our offense was able to get 7 runs off Orioles starter Jake Arrieta, in 4.1 innings. The bottom of the lineup did most of the damage. Brett Lawrie, batting 7th, had 3 hits, including a double, scoring and driving in 3 runs. David Cooper, batting 8th, went 2 for 4 and reached on a Adam Jones error. And our 9th hitter, Rajai Davis went 3 for 4, including a nice bunt single, with 2 RBI.

Jays of the Day are Lawrie (.221 WPA), Davis (.210) and Cooper (.105). Ricky had a .115, but I can't give a JoD to a starter that gave up 4 runs in 6 innings. Kelly Johnson has the Suckage number (-.106) for an 0 for 5, with 4 strikeouts. He was the victim of some pretty iffy strike three calls.

Matt Wieters was ejected from the game in the 5th inning, after the Jays scored 3 runs. He, apparently, felt the plate umpire called a couple of strikes balls, costing the O's the 3 runs and suggested to the umpire that those runs should count against him. Adam Jones went 3 for 3, with 2 homers and 2 walks.

Tomorrow night the Jays go for the sweep with Brandon Morrow (5-3, 3.47) coming off the worst start of his career. Jason Hammel (6-1, 2.78) starts for the O's.