#FreeThames Watch, Day 1 Coverage - Blue Jays Minor League Recap - May 30th, 2012

Las Vegas 7 - Tucson 4

The #FreeThames movement was launched last night with a bang as the newly-demoted left fielder was 2 for 4 with a solo home run. Travis d'Arnaud remained hot going 3 for 5 with a double. Not to be forgotten, exiled 1B Adam Lind went 2 for 4 with a double to continue his strong showing in the PCL by going 2 for 4 with a double. Drew Carpenter had a strong outing despite giving up two solo home runs amongst six hits going five innings with nine strikeouts and no walks. He collected six groundouts and none in the air.

Andrew Carpenter - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 9 K, 0 BB, 2 HR, 6:0 GO:AO

40.0 IP, 3.38 ERA, 4.00 FIP, 45 H, 32 R (28 ER), 6 HR, 35:8 K:BB, 1.33 WHIP

Travis d'Arnaud - 3-5 - 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K

.328/.385/.603 - .988 OPS

Eric Thames - 2-4 - 2 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 BB

.500/.600/1.250 - 1.850 OPS

Adam Lind - 2-4 - 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K

.386/.453/.659 - 1.112 OPS

Anthony Gose - 1-4 - 1 RBI, 1 SB (24)

.294/.370/.422 - .792 OPS

Lansing 6 - Bowling Green 4 (10 inn.)

Marcus Walden got the start and went 6 innings giving up 2 earned runs (2 run HR in 1st) on 4 hits and 2 walks. He collected 12 outs on the ground and none in the air to go with 4 strikeouts. Gustavo Pierre made his season debut after being assigned to the Lugnuts from extended spring training. Chris Hawkins led the offence with a 2 for 5 performance at the plate with a double and two RBIs.

Walden's ERA has outperformed his FIP by 2.5 runs and much of that must be accounted for by the fact he gets more than 3.5 outs on the ground for every one in the air. Not sure if he can maintain either that impressive ratio or results and considering his age so he might not be as good as the traditionalists might think.

Marcus Walden - 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 12:0 GO:AO

51.2 IP, 2.96 ERA, 4.45 FIP, 40 H, 18 R (17 ER), 31:25 K:BB, 1.26 WHIP, 3.71 GO/AO

Chris Hawkins - 2-5 - 1 2B, 2 RBI, 1 K

.328/.362/.418 - .780 OPS

Kenny Wilson - 1-1 - 1 R, 1 3B, 2 RBI

.230/.335/.348 - .683 OPS

Lakeland 4 - Dunedin 3

Casey Lawrence had another strong outing but in a losing cause as he went 7 1/3 innings allowing just 4 hits and no walks. Considering his age and strong showing thus far, I'd expect he will find himself back up in AA at some point this summer. Vladdy played LF for Dunedin and was 1 for 5 on the night with an RBI single in the 7th.

Casey Lawrence - 7.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 11:4 GO:AO

47.1 IP, 2.85 ERA, 3.03 FIP, 47 H, 18 R (17 ER), 3 HR, 31:5 K:BB, 1.12 GO/AO

Vlad Guerrero - 1-5 - 1 RBI

.400/.400/.867 - 1.267 OPS

Jon Talley - 2-4 -1 2B, 1 K

.340/.437/.472 - .909 OPS

New Britain 7 - New Hampshire 2

Chad Jenkins went just 4 innings giving up 2 runs on his 3 hits and a walk. Two of those three hits were solo home runs. Mike McDade had an RBI single. Nothing much happens for New Hampshire these days.