Henderson Alvarez Gets the Blue Jays Second Straight Shutout Win Over the Angels

ANAHEIM, CA - MAY 04: Jose Bautista #19 (R) of the Toronto Blue Jays celebrates with Yunel Escobar .#5 (C) and on deck hitter Adam Liond #26 after Bautista's two run home run in the third inning against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Angel Stadium of Anaheim on May 4, 2012 in Anaheim, California. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 4 Angels 0

Our first back-to-back shutouts since June 16-17 1993, Jack Morris and Al Leiter did it back then.

Henderson Alvarez shutout wasn't quite as impressive as Morrow's was, Morrow only faced one batter above the minimum, Alvarez faced 4 above the minimum. Henderson allowed 6 hits, 1 walk with just 3 strikeouts. 13 ground outs to 7 fly outs. He had 2 double plays turned behind him. There wasn't much hit hard off him, 2 doubles, but one of them was a ball that Thames should have cut off. He was never really in trouble at any point of the game.

On offense, well we had some troubles with Ervin Sanatana, for the first couple of innings. He had 5 strikeouts in the first 6 outs. But in the 3rd, Jeff Mathis had a 1 out walk, Kelly Johnson ground out moving Mathis to second. Yunel Escobar had a nice line drive RBI single to center. And Jose Bautista hit a 2 run homer. That was all the runs we needed, but we added one in the 9th (should have been more), after singles from Lind and Thames and a RBI ground out from Lawrie. Thames did a great job getting to second quick enough to break up the double play.

Jays of the Day are Alvarez (.355 WPA), Jose (.199) and Yunel (.107, off 2 nice line drive hits, single and double). Great to see Yunel hit some line drives, finally. It has all be ground balls from the guy till today. Not suckage Jays. Kelly Johnson had the low mark, -.049 off an 0 for 5, with 2 k.

Edwin Encarnacion had bad luck today, he hit 3 balls at the third baseman, 2 of them very hard, but Maicer Izturis is a much better 3B than Mark Trumbo was yesterday. Adam Lind? 1 for 4, 2 k. The hit was a soft grounder that made it through the infield. I do feel bad for the guy, he is better than he's shown us, so far this year, but he doesn't hit near well enough to bat cleanup.

Nice game today, nice game thread, over 1400 comment. Life is better when we are winning and that is 4 in now. Tomorrow Kyle Drabek tries to continue our streak of scoreless innings. C.J. Wilson starts for the Angels.