Blue Jay Minor League Catchers

I'm going to take a run through our full season minor league teams looking at the players at each position over the next couple of weeks (it might get slowed down some, I'm off on a road trip to Minneapolis this week). Let's start with the catchers.

Las Vegas 51's

Travis d'Arnaud had a bit of a slow start, in his first look at the Triple-A but he's been hitting better lately. In 25 games he is hitting .279/.345/.413, 8 doubles, 2 home runs, 11 RBI, 9 walks, 19 k. In his last 10 games he's .356/.396/.511, so he's realized he is in Vegas. On the defensive side, he's only thrown out 2 of 13 base stealers, 15%, down from the 27% from last year.

Yan Gomes has continued his hot hitting from spring training into the PCL season. Yan has played 8 games at catcher, 7 at first base and 9 at third. He is hitting .385/.422/.583, with 10 doubles, 3 home runs, 17 RBI, 5 walks and 14 strikeouts. He's actually hitting better over his last 10 games, .436/.500/.795. As a catcher he has thrown out 3 of 8 base stealers, 37%. If Mathis was hurt, I'm kind of thinking that Gomes could get the call to be the backup.

New Hampshire Fisher Cats

A.J. Jimenez is hitting .274/.307/.405 with 3 doubles, 1 triple, 2 homers, 8 RBI, 3 walks, 10 k. He's throw out 11 of 20 base stealers (55%). Last 10 games he's hit .341/.357/.585.

Brian Jeroloman, unfortunately for him, has moved down a level this year. He's hit .111/.304/.111 in 7 games. He has thrown out 6 of 9 base stealer (67%).

Dunedin Blue Jays

Jack Murphy is hitting .282/.37/.590 in 13 games, with 4 home runs, 12 RBI, 5 walks, 8 k. He's thrown out 7 of 17. Murphy is 24, so a bit old for the level.

Sean Ochinko is hitting .258/.329/.379, 8 doubles, 7 RBI, 6 walks, 8 k. He's played a couple of games at DH. Thrown out 3 or 18 base stealers (17%). He is also 24.

Lansing Lug Nuts

Carlos Perez is hitting .247/.330/.377, with 6 doubles, 2 triples, 12 RBI, 10 walks, 11 k in 20 games. Not much better than last year's disappointing season. He's thrown out 6 of 29 base stealers (21%). Tony LaCava said that part of the reason he had an off year last year, was that it was his first time playing in colder weather, so we'll see how things go as the season goes on.

Pierce Rankin is hitting .182/.229/.303, with 1 double, 1 homer, 3 RBI, 1 walks, 12 k. 1 caught out of 8 base stealers.