Who's Up, Who's Down On the Blue Jays Over the Last Two Weeks: 18 to 31

The Jays played 12 games in the past 2 weeks and went 6-6. There were series wins against the Mets and Orioles (a sweep) and series losses to the Rays and Rangers (a sweep the other direction).

Arrow_around_3_medium

Ricky Romero

3 starts, 2/0, 4.50 ERA. He went 6 innings in each start. 1 was good, 1 was terrible and 1 was ok. Batters hit .180/.333/.377 against him. All-in-all, it was a lot better than the 2 weeks before.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brandon Morrow 3 starts. The first, 9 innings, 3 hit, 1 walk, 8 k. The next he got just 2 outs, 5 hits, 3 walks, 6 earned. The last 6.1, 4 hits, 1 earned, 2 walks, 8 k and a ball off the shin. Batters hit .207/.292/.259 against him. 2 very good starts, one just awful start.

Arrow_down_3

Henderson Alvarez

2 starts, both were bad. 0-1, Jays lost both games. 8.44 ERA over the 10.2 innings. Batters hit .367/.396/.694 against him. It depends what you think, it could be just a bad couple of games or it might be that AL batters have caught on to him. The two weeks before were quite good.

Arrow_down_3

Kyle Drabek

2 starts, a win and a loss. He only went 3 innings in the loss to Texas, but then none of our starters did well against the Rangers. The other game he only gave up 3 hits, one the fly that hit a catwalk wire which made it a home run and 2 soft singles. The bad part is that he walked 9 in 9 innings. Batters hit .289/.426/.605 against him.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Drew Hutchison

2 starts, one bad one, against the Rangers, 4 innings, 7 hits, 6 earned, 3 k and one good one against the Orioles, 7 innings, 3 hits, 3 walks, 9 k. I'm hoping the second one is the start of a trend. Between the two games batters had a .233/.313/.442 line against him.

Arrow_up_3

Luis Perez

Pitched in 6 games, only allowed runs in the first one, 2 runs against the Mets. In total he faced 26 batters and only allowed 3 hits, and 5 walks, with 5 k. .143/.308/.286.

Arrow_down_3

Darren Oliver

4 games, he gave up a run in one of them, getting a loss in extra innings against the Rays. He did give up a bunch of hits, batters hit .278/.435/.333 against him. He gave up at least 2 base runners in each of his appearances.

Arrow_up_3

Francisco Cordero

Cordero pitched in 8 of our 12 games, and only allowed runs in 1 of them, when he game up 4 hits and 2 earned against the Orioles. In total 25 at bats, 5 hits, 1 double, 1 walk and 6 strikeouts for a .217/.250/.261 line. We seem to be working him a lot.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Casey Janssen

Casey got into 6 games. He did give up 2 runs in the middle game of the Orioles' series but he wasn't in a save situation. Had 2 saves. Batters hit him pretty good though, .273/.429/.455. We don't want to see those numbers very often.

Arrow_down_3

Jason Frasor

Jason pitched in 5 games, he gave up 4 earned in one of the games against Texas and the next day he gave up the game losing home run the next day. So it wasn't a good couple of weeks for him. He gave up 8 hits, 2 doubles, 2 homers and 2 walks.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Carlos Villanueva

5 games. He pitched 4.1 against the Rangers in our 14-3 loss to the Rangers, giving up 2 runs that day. Those were his only runs of the week. Batters hit .281/.343/.500 against him.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Sergio Santos

Will be on the DL til, at least, near the end of the month.

Arrow_up_3

Jesse Chavez We've had half a dozen guys go up and down the last couple of weeks. Jesse only appeared in 1 game but went 5 innings. He faced 19 batters, allowing 4 hits, 1 double, 1 homer, with 7 strikeouts. I'm giving him an up arrow, in part for getting called up and staying up and in part for pitching pretty decently against the Rangers. Igarash would get a big down arrow.

Batters:

Arrow_around_3_medium

J.P. Arencibia

JP played in 11 of the 12 games, DHing a couple of times. He hit .234/.250/.511 with 4 home runs. 9 RBI, but just 1 walk and 19 strikeouts. 19 strikeouts in 47 at bats. That's pretty terrible. But 4 home runs.

Arrow_up_3

David Cooper

Got called up and had been in 6 games. He's hitting .333/.364/.381 so far. Only the 1 extra base hit, a double, but getting called up and hitting .333, that gets you an up arrow,.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Kelly Johnson

Hamstring issues put him out of 3 of the 12 games and slowed him down for the others. He hit .235/.308/.441 with 1 home runs, 5 RBI, 1 stolen base 4 walks, and 15 strikeouts. Since he's better playing on a sore leg, I don't think we can ask for too much better.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Yunel Escobar

The other half of our limping middle infield, Yunel played 11 of the 12 games. .255/.314/.362 with 1 home run, 3 RBI, 4 walks and 7 k. I'm giving him a bit of a break, since he is playing with a sore groin. Jon Morosi figures Yunel could be traded to make room for Adeiny Hechavarria. I have my doubts, Yunel has a very team friendly contract. He's yet to have a hot streak this year.

Arrow_up_3

Edwin Encarnacion

Edwin played in all 12 games, even with a sore back. He hit .271/.352/.542 with 4 home runs, 8 RBI, 6 walks, and 7 strikeouts. Last year he was hitting doubles early in the season, with few home runs, this year it is the other way around. He played first in 5 of the games and DH the other 7.

Arrow_up_3

Colby Rasmus

Started 10 of the 12 games, and go into 1 of the others as a defensive replacement. Colby back luck on hard hit balls seems to be waning finally. He hit .333/.391/.714, with 3 homers, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 4 walks, 9 k and 2 stolen bases. This is the Colby we were hoping to see this year. He was even smiling yesterday.

Arrow_down_3

Eric Thames

Played in 10 games before being sent off to Vegas, hitting a big .200/.222/.257 with 2 doubles, 3 RBI, 1 walk and 10 k. I'm really sorry things didn't work out for him, maybe he'll figure things out at Vegas and be back.

Arrow_up_3

Jose Bautista

Jose had a pretty good week, batting .271/.340/.458 with 2 home runs, 3 doubles, 10 RBI, 1 steal, 5 walks and 10 strikeouts. Not quite as good as Jose normally is but still pretty good.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brett Lawrie

Brett seems to be, finally, driving the ball, just in the last couple of days. Or someone just told him about the man in white. Hit .289/.308/.421 with 2 doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 6 k and 1 steal. I'd like him to take the odd walk, as well as hit with some power.

Arrow_up_3

Omar Vizquel

With the problems Escobar and Johnson have been having, Omar has gotten into more games over he last couple of weeks, and he's been great. .389/.421/.389, 1 steal (did you see the jump he got), 1 walk, one sac bunt.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Ben Francisco

1 hit and 1 walk in the 7 plate appearances, before he went on the DL. Yan Gomes hit .158/.250/.474 in 24 plate appearances, over the last 2 weeks, before being sent back down.

Arrow_up_3

Rajai Davis

Rajai started 6 and got into 4 more of the 12 games we played the last two weeks. He had 3 home runs, 2 the first game of the two week period and one in the last game. In the 7 games after his 2 home run game he had no hits in 13 at bats with 5 strikeouts. In all he hit .250/.280/.625, 3 HR, 2 steals, 1 walk, 7 k. I didn't expect 3 home runs out of him this season, so I'm going to give him the up arrow, though I'd rather he get on base more.

Arrow_down_3

Jeff Mathis

Caught in 3 games (and pitched in 1). He had 2 singles in 10 at bats, 4 k. As a pitcher he pitched a scoreless inning against the Rangers, 1 hit, 1 walk.