That Was Unexpected: Yan Gomes Optioned To AAA Las Vegas

Yan Gomes #68 of the Toronto Blue Jays hits a home run yesterday. (Photo by Brad White/Getty Images)

Right after the game last night, the Toronto Blue Jays announced that they were recalling pitchers Aaron Laffey and Evan Crawford to help with the bullpen after Brandon Morrow's injury-induced short outing. Chad Beck, who pitched 3.2 innings last night, was immediately optioned, but the Blue Jays decided to wait until today to make the second corresponding move.

Tom and I figured that one of three things was going to happen: a) Mike McCoy was going to be optioned, b) Francisco Cordero was going to be released, c) Brandon Morrow was going to be placed on the disabled list. However, the Jays announced today that Yan Gomes would be the one to be sacrificed down to Las Vegas to make room on the 25-man roster.

Ultimately, it is good news that Morrow was not placed on the disabled list... yet. But poor Yan, he came in last night and hit a pinch-hit homer to make it closer. It may have to do with positional flexibility--Mike McCoy is just more versatile than Gomes, and that the Jays are not finished with Cordero yet. If Morrow is eventually placed on the disabled list, than Gomes can be recalled before serving 10 days in the minors.

How many different 25-man rosters do you think the Jays will go through this season?

UPDATES! From Alex Anthopoulos' Conference Call (courtesy of various tweeters):

  • Jays had handshake agreement with Guerrero and agreed to let him go whenever he wanted. AA thought he was not ready to be called up.
  • Morrow still sore today, will be re-examined at 4:30, AA expects that DL time will be necessary.
  • Should the Jays need a starter, Jesse Chavez is the current frontrunner.