Double Knockout: Kyle Drabek Joins Brandon Morrow On The 15-Day Disabled List, Brett Cecil Recalled

TORONTO, CANADA - JUNE 13: Kyle Drabek #4 of the Toronto Blue Jays talks with Manager John Farrell #52 during a break in fifth inning interleague MLB game action against the Washington Nationals. Drabek left the game with an apparent injury June 13, 2012 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Brad White/Getty Images)

The Toronto Blue Jays have placed starter Kyle Drabek on the 15-day disabled list due to a right elbow ulnar collateral ligament strain. In his place, lefty Brett Cecil has been recalled to start the game on Sunday, June 17 versus the Philadelphia Phillies. Brandon Morrow was originally slated to start that game, but he was placed on the disabled list after after his Monday start.

I will be intrigued to see how Brett Cecil has changed his game in his time in New Hampshire and Las Vegas. Welcome back, Brett!

Just a reminder that the Bluebird Banter meetup will be tomorrow, Saturday, June 16 at the Loose Moose after the game. See yall there!

UPDATE! Mike Wilner reports that Drabek will be making a dreaded trip to see Dr. James Andrews.

UPDATE 2! Mike Wilner, bearer of bad news, reports that scans show a partial tear in the UCL and Tommy John surgery may be necessary.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TORONTO, ON

FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2012

BLUE JAYS PLACE RHP KYLE DRABEK ON DISABLED LIST

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have placed RHP KYLE DRABEK on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 14 with a right elbow UCL sprain. LHP BRETT CECIL has been recalled from Las Vegas today and will make his season debut on Sunday June 17 vs. Philadelphia.

DRABEK, 24, posted a 4-7 record with a 4.67 ERA in 13 starts this season, while holding opponents to a .250 average. The 6-1, 228 pound right-hander is in his third season with the Blue Jays after being acquired in December of 2009. In 34 career games (30 starts), the Victoria, Texas native has recorded an 8-15 record with a 5.34 ERA.

CECIL, 25, began the season with New Hampshire (AA), posting a 3-2 record with a 3.38 ERA in nine starts. The 6-1, 215 pound left-hander experience groin tightness in his third start on April 19th, returning on May 9th to the Fisher Cats rotation where he would make six more starts. The Dunkirk, Maryland native made his last start in Las Vegas (AAA) on June 12 picking up the win after allowing three runs in 6.2 innings. In 66 career games (65 starts), Cecil has recorded a 26-22 mark with a 4.64 ERA over three seasons with the Blue Jays.