Bobbleheads

Minor Leaguer's Bobblehead Collection. (front row L-R) 3B Eric Hinske, CL Billy Koch, SP Brandon Morrow, 2B Orlando Hudson, RF Jose Bautista. (2nd row L-R) DH Paul Molitor, SP Roy Halladay, 1B Carlos Delgado, SP Dave Stieb, CF Vernon Wells. (3rd row L-R): LF Dave Winfield, SS Cal Ripken, Jr. (top row L-R): 2B Roberto Alomar.

Tomorrow, the Toronto Blue Jays are giving away the second of three bobbleheads this season: the first 20,000 fans through the turnstiles will receive a Yunel Escobar figurine. I will wake up extra early to head down to Rogers Centre to make sure I get one to add to my collection. I won't have to wake up too early, as the Jays decided to double the number of giveaways this year from 10,000.

I know that some people don't care for Bobblehead dolls, but I like them a lot. I always found it to be great to pay a few dollars for the cheap seats and to get something to stick on my bookshelf--and since these giveaways generally happen on Sundays, I sometimes get pizza too. Great value for money plus a baseball game too!

As you can see, I've got quite a few bobbleheads in my collection. The older dolls (Hinske, Koch, Delgado, Winfield, Ripken) only show the player standing straight and looking forward, but the newer ones actually show the player in some sort of action.

My favourite bobblehead in the collection is Robbie Alomar. The designers picked a great iconic moment to capture--even though the face does not look much like Robbie (bobbleheads don't do faces well, although Roy Halladay looks pretty close) the pose is unmistakably him. It also comes with some personal sentimental value--I was out of town that weekend and thought I wouldn't get one, but my dad trekked down there and lined up at 10:30 to get it for me. I'll be treating him to a game and a beer later this year. It's been much too long since we've been together.

So, what do you think about bobbleheads? Do you have a collection? Which is your favourite?