Edwin Encarnacion Hits His 20th Homer, He Says Looking For a Bright Side: Jays Lose to Brewers

Joel Carreno throwing a pitch. In a moment there will be a loud crack of a ball off a bat. (Photo by Mike McGinnis/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 3 Brewers 8

The worst part of that lousy game was Brett Lawrie leaving with 'right knee soreness'. Why slide when there is no play? Because that is our Brett.

Joel Carreno was called up to pitch badly. He went 3 innings (when we really needed him to go longer), and gave up 5 runs, off 5 hits (including a double to his mound opponent, Yuvani Gallardo), 2 walks, 3 k and 3 home runs. Two of the home runs were of the wall scraping variety, if that is any consolation.

Aaron Laffey followed with 3 better innings. He up just 1 run off 3 hits, a walk and a k. Luis Perez gave up a 2 run homer in his inning of work. Jason Frasor pitched a scoreless 8th, that only lasted 45 minutes.

We didn't do much on offense either. Edwin Encarnacion hit his 20th home run, and drover in another run by being hit by pitch with the bases loaded. Beyond that, we didn't do much. Colby Rasmus drove in a run with a double, but struck out his 3 other times up. Rajai Davis was 2 for 4. Every other starting batter had 1 single, except Jose Bautista (0 for 3, walk, 2 k) and Brett (0 for 3, walk).

There wasn't even that much defense to cheer, Colby came just short of making good catches a couple of times, but close doesn't really help in those situations.

Edwin gets the Jay of the Day, with a .174 WPA. Carreno gets the Suckage for his -.367).

In hindsight, it would have been better to go with Ricky Romero on short rest.

The Jay have tomorrow off and then start a series in Miami with the Marlins.

Please don't be hurt, Brett (he thinks he'll be playing Friday). Games would be much less fun to watch without you. And, while we are on the pleases, can we please call up Travis Snider already. With the day off, we can go back to an 7 man bullpen or send Chavez and/or Carreno down and worry about who gets their spots in the rotation when it comes around again.