FanPost

What do you do with Travis Snider?

Everyone's favorite meat enthusiast from the Pacific Northwest is increasingly a topic of discussion as he appears to be feeling no ill effects from the wrist injury that sidelined him in the midst of a blazing season in the PCL for the Las Vegas 51s. While many of us thought he should have been given the LF job out of Spring Training and given a full year of at-bats to prove (or disprove) his ability to hit MLB pitching once and for all. It's hard not to feel for Travis because it is all too obvious now that his development was rushed and really was not in his best interest or the team's for that matter.

Instead of giving Snider the LF job, AA/Farrell decided to give the job to 'incumbent' Eric Thames who had really not done anything that Snider hadn't already done at an earlier age and there are many theories as to why the cookie crumbled this way. Perhaps they were pumping Thames' tires for a potential trade or they wanted Snider to be up to stay for good and one more year in the PCL would perhaps teach him how to hit left-handed pitching and avoid the need for him to be platooned.

While he has hardly torn apart LHPs in ~25 AB this year (.250/.355/.417), he has been absolutely mashing RHPs (.368/.455/.690) this year. Since coming off the DL, he's 6 for 15 with the 51s with 2 HRs (one of which came against a lefty). Other than the issue with lefties, there doesn't seem to be much more that he needs to prove at the AAA level. This year, he has walked as much as he struck out (against lefties and righties - ~10% - SSS alert).

So the question that faces AA, as I see it, is whether he should:

1) Recall Snider now(-ish) with the belief that he will be able to hit both righties and lefties at the MLB level and will be a fixture in the Jays' outfield for years to come.

2) Bring him up and platoon him with Rajai and hope that he improves vs. LHPs in limited at-bats over the next couple years.

3) Let him complete the year (or at least the majority of it) at AAA and hope that he's ready to contribute every day next year when he's out of options and will need to be on the 25-man or be exposed to waivers.

4) Trade him to someone who will cherish his love of a good rib-eye/rack of lamb and ability to, at the least, hit righties.