Our Next Pass Through the Rotation

We really need a good start from you tonight, Ricky. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Our rotation the next time through:

Tonight: Ricky Romero. Ricky is 2-0 over his last 4 starts, but then that makes it sound much better than he's pitched. He has a 5.48 ERA through those starts and 6.30 in his last 2 starts. Over the 4 starts batters have hit .281/.343/.490 against him and he's averaged less than 6 innings per start. He's going to have to go deeper into the game tonight.

Saturday: Brett Cecil. Brett went 5 innings in his first major league start of the season, and allowed 5 hits, 1 walk, 2 earned with 5 k. I think we'd be happy with the same sort of result tomorrow.

Sunday: Jesse Chavez. Jesse's first start didn't go well. 2.2 innings, 4 earned, 3 hits, 4 walks with 4 k. He'd almost have to be better this time out. He did go 5 ok innings, in relief, back in May against the Rangers. Maybe he has a good start in him.

Monday: Henderson Alvarez. They moved Henderson back a day, I'm not sure why. Maybe so that Laffey and Chavez aren't back to back. Maybe to give his arm a little rest. Maybe his name came out of the hat a little later. Henderson is 0-2 with a 6.30 ERA in his last 5 starts, so maybe an extra day is a good idea. Batters are hitting .346/.368/.598. He's not walking anyone, maybe because guys were teeing off on his first couple of pitches. Why wait for 4 balls to go by when you can club the first one?

Tuesday: Aaron Laffey. Laffey gets his first major league start since 2010, when he made 5 starts for the Indians. Aaron has pitched 9 innings for us this year, allowing 6 hits, 3 earned, 2 HR, 3 earned, 2 walks with 4 k. He pitched 3 innings on Wednesday.

So how many wins do you think we can get over the next 5 days with this rotation? We have 3 against the Marlins and then Alvarez and Laffey get starts against the Red Sox.