A Ship Without a Rudder: 6/3 Game Thread, Red Sox at Blue Jays

This weekend series really hasn't gone well, and at times the Jays have looked downright directionless, particularly in the field. They look to salvage one game today, but if they can't come up with a win the Jays will further establish their last-place position.

Two young pitchers who are still trying to prove that they are major league starters face off today and so far the Jays' starter has been the better one. Drew Hutchison is coming off a great start against Baltimore. Hutchison hasn't beaten himself this season - he has nice K and BB numbers, and his FIP (4.21) and xFIP (3.94) suggest that he's doing fine so far as a major-league pitcher, but it is also the case that when he's gotten hit, he's been hit hard (5.91 tRA) and the jury is still somewhat out on him as a major-league pitcher at this point. On the other hand, I've certainly seen enough to want to see more.

Then there's Daniel Bard, who is pitching for Boston and has sort of been a mirror image of Hutchison. Bard has been walking too many and striking out too few, but he's been stingy (or lucky) with home runs, and that's kept things from getting out of hand and he actually has a better ERA thusfar than Hutchison, although virtually all of the stats say that is undeserved (tRA considers it basically a push).

Getting swept at home by Boston would suck, so come on fellas. Between the Jays and the Azzuri and Euro 2012, it has not been the best sports weekend. A win today would be nice.

Today's title comes from the song "Rudderless" off the Lemonhead's seminal It's a Shame About Ray.

Next Game

Boston Red Sox
@ Toronto Blue Jays

Sunday, Jun 3, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT
Rogers Centre

Daniel Bard vs Drew Hutchison

Partly cloudy,rain. Winds blowing from left to right field at 10-20 m.p.h. Game time temperature around 60.

Complete Coverage >