Blue Jays Second Pick in the 2012 MLB Draft: Marcus Stroman RHP

The Jays, picking 17th overall in the first round, take Marcus Stroman, RHP. 5"9", 195 from Duke. MLB says:

Comments: College relievers always get looks in the early stages of the Draft if they are believed to be able to move quickly to the big leagues. Stroman has the chance to be the first of those closer types to go off the board.Because of his size and electric arm, he gets Tom Gordon comparisions all the time. He throws his fastball consistently in the mid-90s with some pretty good tail when it's down in the zone. He complements it with a power curve that has a nasty late break to it. His command isn't fine, but he's generally around the strike zone with both offerings.As a short reliever, that might be all he needs at the next level. Stroman is coming off a dominant summer with USA Baseball, so scouts will be very curious to see how his junior season unfolds.

If you want to see his complete numbers at Duke go here.

Tweet from Mike Wilner:

Tinnish: Strolman capable of starting or relieving. 5'9", but top of charts athlete and competitor with special stuff.

What do you think of this pick?

Latest News