FanPost

Toronto Blue Jays 2012 MLB Draft Thoughts (Rounds 1-15)

First 3 picks were outstanding, got a guy who has a true 80 run tool according to Kevin Goldstein with potential for 4 plus tools as well as two other guys who at some point in the draft process were ranked as top 15 talents. Not a big fan of Nay but according to BA, hes signable. Gonzales has a live arm but according to most reports, he profiles better as a bullpen arm . However with the Blue Jays developmental success of late with these type of arms, I have some faith. DeJong has the potential for 3 plus pitches according to BA. Dont think the 3rd round pick is signing though, most draftniks think he will honour his committment to play football and he has said in a recent interview that he is not willing to give up football yet. Rounds 4-10 were spent on college seniors who will most likely sign for peanuts and allow the Blue Jays to spend that money paying the early aggresive picks and players selected after Round 10 like Kellogg. Pretty happy with AA’s work this year and Andrew Tinnish has to be one of the best in the business. On a side note, the new draft rules are making a mockery of the general premise of an amateur draft. Although some teams draft according to BPA or a specific profile (ie. Blue Jays seem to target mainly projectable right handers with plus fastballs or up the middle physical specimens), the new rules are encouraging teams to punt their picks from Round 4-10. A writer for BA did a nice summary on this strategy. Say a team likes Player A for $1000 and Player B for $250000. Instead of drafting player B in the early rounds and Player A in Round 50, teams will now draft Player A in Round 10 and sign him for $1000. If the maximum slot value of the pick is $300000, the team will have $299000 more to spend. Player B will now be drafted in a later round and will use up $100000 allotted by the slot of a Round 11-50 selection and $150000 from the money saved by drafting Player A in Round 10. Players that have no business being drafted anywhere near Rounds 4-10 like college seniors who have no bonus leverage will be going higher while players that would have been taken in the early rounds in the past like Hunter Virant or Trey Williams are being picked much later than they have been projected to go. The CBA, in context of its draft impact, has done more harm than good IMHO.