Blue Jays Recall RHP Chad Beck, Option RHP Robert Coello to AAA Las Vegas

DUNEDIN, FL - MARCH 02: Chad Beck #58 of the Toronto Blue Jays poses for a portrait at Dunedin Stadium on March 2, 2012 in Dunedin, Florida. (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)

This afternoon, Sportsnet's stat man Scott Carson tweeted that he had spotted Chad Beck in the lobby of the Blue Jays' team hotel in Chicago. Subsequently the Toronto Blue Jays official announced that RHP Chad Beck was recalled from the Las Vegas 51s (AAA). To make room on the 25-man roster, RHP Robert Coello was optioned to the 51s.

Beck, 27, has had 3 previous appearances in the Major Leagues, all with the Blue Jays last season. He has yet to allow an earned run in the big leagues. Beck was recalled from the 51s on May 27 this year, but was optioned the next day without making an appearance. With the 51s, Beck recorded a 1.11 ERA and 0.99 WHIP in 23 appearances, and earned 9 saves in 10 opportunities as Las Vegas' closer after Ryota Igarashi was loss on waivers.

Coello, also 27, had just a single appearance with the Blue Jays, finishing the June 1 game against the Red Sox with two scoreless innings.

Quick analysis: Beck is a better option in the bullpen than Coello. I know many Blue Jays fans are excited to see him back up with the team.