FanPost

Jays need a starter: Why not go trade for Roy Halladay?

I think we can all agree that the Jays need another starter or two if the Jays want to seriously contend for a playoff spot. Why not trade for Roy Halladay? He's due about $9MM left for this year ($20MM contract), owed $20MM next year and has a vesting option for 2014 that only kicks in if he gets to 225 IP in 2013. The Phillies need to free up cash if they want to sign Cole Hamels this off-season and with Halladay's age and high price tag they might be more inclined to trade Halladay and get 3 prospects in return. Alex Anthopoulos is big on knowing a player's history, their character etc. He definitely knows Doc, and a move like this would energize the fan base. Also, Doc's value is lower right now than it would be if he was having his normal Cy Young-like season.

Now the question is what value would the Phillies want from the Jays. I don't think the Jays would move D'Arnaud back to the Phillies, but the Phils could use some younger bats. I think Travis Snider would have to be a part of that deal along with two quality arms. You could probably make a case for two of the following guys to be moved: Daniel Norris, Aaron Sanchez, Noah Syndergaard, Justin Nicolino, Asher Wojchiechowski, Sean Nolin. I would not give up Sanchez or Syndergaard personally because they are big right handed pitchers that historically tend to break down less, but most likely the Phils will ask for one of them. I think the Jays would also have to give up a young catcher (AJ Jimenez) as part of the deal.

What could make this more interesting is if the Jays were willing to trade Kelly Johnson as part of this. The Phillies could use some insurance for Chase Utley at second, and KJ has shown that he can play third, and left as well. A package of Snider, Johnson, Nicolino, Jimenez and maybe a Anthony DeScalfini might be able to pry Doc away from the Phils. Do this move Alex after you scout Doc down in Clearwater this week as he makes his rehab start.