FanPost

Is Brett Lawrie Already the Best Third Baseman in Blue Jays' History?

The Jays haven't really had a great third baseman before. The question wouldn't be worth asking at many other positions, but for third base the possibilities are:

  1. Garth Iorg
  2. Rance Mulliniks
  3. Kelly Gruber
  4. Ed Sprague
  5. Tony Fernandez
  6. Tony Batista
  7. Scott Rolen
  8. Edwin Encarnacion
  9. Brett Lawrie

The only real competitors are Kelly Gruber and Scott Rolen:

Kelly Gruber had 5.8 WAR in 1988 and averaged 4.9 WAR in the 1988-1990 time period. He didn't do a whole lot in his other seasons though.

Scott Rolen has HOF stats but was past his prime when he joined the Jays. He still had a very good 203 games between 2008/2009 with 6.2 total WAR and a WAR/150 of 4.6

Brett Lawrie has 5.4 WAR in 124 games for a WAR/150 of 6.5

So the question is, if not Brett Lawrie, which former Jay would you rather have playing 3B right now?