Would You Be Disappointed If The Jays Don't Make A Big Trade Before The Deadline?

Aaron Laffey and all but wouldn't you like someone better? (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Over at DJF, Andrew Stoeten makes the case that now is the time that the Jays should make a trade for a starting pitcher. Among his points:

  • It would, likely, make the next 2.5 months more interesting.
  • It would would make the Jays a more appealing destination for this winter's top free agents. He suggests that with Romero, Morrow and, say, Matt Garza, some of the several free agent starting pitchers might look at Toronto has having a good shot at the playoffs in 2013, making them more inclined to consider signing with us. I'm not so sure I buy this argument, but it can't hurt.
  • It might shut up fans that say the Jays won't spend money.
  • We have enough pitching prospects that using 2 or 3 to pick up someone now won't cause us to be short of prospects.

Anyway, go read his post and come on back. I'll wait.

Back? Ok. My question to you all is 'Would you be disappointed if Alex doesn't make a trade for a starting pitcher before the deadline?'

Personally, I don't know that picking up one starter would be enough to keep us in contention. And I wouldn't want to be giving up someone that could become very good, for a pitcher that is only with us for a couple of months. Cue the Michael Young for Esteban Loaiza comparisons.

But if we can get someone that will be around next year, I'm all for it. It wouldn't hurt to cause some excitement around the team. Maybe help attendance along. If we were to fall well out of the race, I'd be afraid that attendance will drop to the levels it did last August.

Anyway a poll.