FanShot

Brian Butterfield, Brett Lawrie and the Blue Jays broke DRS

5

It has been noted frequently around here that Brett Lawrie had a record breaking DRS rating, which indicated that he had already saved 30 runs, though we knew it was somewhat due to how the unique shifts the Jays employed were measured and it was not all real. Well, the folks at Baseball Info Solutions took notice: "But it was a flaw in our system that didn't recognize the defense the Blue Jays have employed on a regular basis for the first time in the history of baseball." As a result, they made changes to how DRS is measured. Now, shift plays are removed (similar to UZR) from individual players ratings, and the shift plays are used to calculate a team value that considers the net value at a team level. Which seems quite appropriate to me. Interestingly,Lawire is still the best 3rd baseman, at +16 runs, which is much closer to his UZR rating. The Jays also have saved the most runs due to shifting in baseball, so credit to Butter on that one. On a related note, Lawrie lost about 1.5 WAR over at Baseball Reference (which uses DRS as opposed to fWAR which uses UZR) as a result of this change. I am personally quite happy about this as I need update my contract value Excel file to account for the changes B-R made to their WAR calculations, and I was worried about this type of stuff in DRS contaminating my data. But that's fixed now.