Danny Knobler On The Blue Jays

TORONTO, CANADA - JULY 1: Jose Bautista #19 of the Toronto Blue Jays bats during MLB game action against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on July 1, 2012 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

This afternoon CBS Sports baseball insider Danny Knobler posted a story on the Toronto Blue Jays, after speaking with a few unnamed executives and scouts from around the league. The gist of the article is as follows (article paraphrased in italics, commentary in roman is mine):

  • The Blue Jays aren't going to climb the standings with Aaron Laffey, Carlos Villanueva, and Brett Cecil starting 3 out of every 5 games. OK so nothing that we don't already know.
  • A scout suggested that the Blue Jays should try to move Casey Janssen. Janssen, 30, is the most valuable piece of the bullpen, but what type of talent should we expect in return for him? And, more importantly, will this piece offset the value he can bring in 2013 and beyond? Janssen is signed for $2 million this year, $3.9 million in 2013, and the club has a $4 million no buyout option on him for 2014. I don't see Alex Anthopoulos moving Janssen unless he brings back a significant reward.

2012 - Casey Janssen 1-1 30 0 0 0 9 1 30.2 23 9 9 4 5 31 2.64 .91

  • Someone else said that this is the time to move Yunel Escobar because the Jays have started to sour on him. No, Yunel Escobar no Alcides and hasn't hit as well as anyone of us has expected, but seeing his homers lately makes me think that perhaps Dwayne Murphy work on unleashing his power since he's pretty much done with the Edwin Encarancion project now. Yunel is signed for this year and next at $5 million, with two more $5 million options available for 2014 and 2015. Chances are that Adeiny Hechavarria won't be hitting the way Escobar has, and I don't think whatever extra he brings in his defensive game would make up for his bat.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2012 - Yunel Escobar 76 306 40 78 9 1 5 27 21 33 2 1 .255 .303 .340

  • There are rumours the Blue Jays could move Edwin Encarnacion. Been talked about endlessly already, nothing new.
  • The injury to Travis d'Arnaud will keep the Blue Jays from moving a catcher. I don't know about that. If the Jays are going to get a good piece back for J.P. Arencibia (Knobler didn't mention him by name, but I'm guessing that's who he's talking about), and they believe in d'Arnaud is MLB-ready for April 2013, there is no reason Anthopoulos won't make the move. I don't think d'Arnaud's injury influences the availability of Arencibia unless it was more severe than they've let on. For the catching situation this year, they can either ask for an interim catcher back in the trade, sign someone, or split the role between Jeff Mathis and Yan Gomes if they decide the season is over already.

What are you thoughts?