Pauley Exclusion Principle: David Pauley Designated For Assignment, Drew Carpenter Selected

Mar. 5, 2012; Lakeland, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Drew Carpenter (50) pitches against the Detroit Tigers at Joker Marchant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Weber-US PRESSWIRE

According to Sportsnet's Shi Davidi, the Toronto Blue Jays have designated reliever David Pauley for assignment, removing him immediately from the 40-man roster. The Blue Jays now have 10 days to trade, outright, or release Pauley.

David Pauley's final apperance for the Blue Jays came today, when he came into the top of the 7th with runners on 2nd and 3rd in relief of Ricky Romero. He hit a batter, then allowed an RBI-single followed by a grand slam to Mike Moustakas. He only allowed a single the rest of the way, but the damage was done. The Blue Jays acquired Pauley on waivers from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

To fill his roster space, the Blue Jays have selected the contract of another waiver claimant, RHP Andrew (Drew) Carpenter (on twitter @ACarpenter50) from the Las Vegas 51s. Carpenter, 27, has pitched 24 big-league innings over 4 seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies and the San Diego Padres.

This season in Las Vegas, he has a 6-3 record with a 3.38 ERA in 21 games (12 starts). Over 74 innings, he has given up 83 hits, 10 homers, struck out 56, and walked 19, resulting in a 1.366 WHIP.

Carpenter's big league carrer ERA is 8.51 with a WHIP of 1.963, but he has struck out twice as many batters as he has walked! So, he is not expected to fix all of the Blue Jays' bullpen problems, but it would be nice if he could string together some good appearances. According to his biography in the media guide, he majored in criminal justice at Long Beach State and his hobby is to restore cars.

He will become the Blue Jays' 24th pitcher used for 2012 once he makes his first appearance. The Blue Jays have used more pitchers in only two full seasons: 25 in 2004 and 30 last year.