7 Shut Out Innings for Aaron Laffey. Jays Beat Red Sox

BOSTON, MA - JULY 20: Aaron Laffey #32 of the Toronto Blue Jays is congratulated by teammate J.P. Arencibia #9 after getting safely out of the third inning against the Boston Red Sox during the game on July 20, 2012 at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 6 Red Sox 1

Did anyone think that Aaron Laffey could do this well as a starter? Tonight he was great, 7 shutout innings against a formerly hot hitting Red Sox team. He gave up 8 hits, all of them singles, no walks, with 4 strike outs. Darren Oliver and Casey Janssen got some needed work in, pitching the 8th and 9th respectively. Janssen showed some rust, giving up the lone Boston run.

He was helped out by the best defensive outfields we've had all year. Anthony Gose made a couple of nice catches in right. Travis Snider looked so good in left. He made some nice catches, and cut off a couple of hits that would have gone for extra bases with out Travis out there.

We had more offense in the first couple of innings than we had all series against the Yankees. Colby Rasmus hit a triple in the first and scored on a Edwin Encarnacion ground out, with the help of a generous call by the home plate umpire. I'm not sure Colby touched the plate. Singles by Adam Lind and J.P. Arencibia scored Edwin.

In the 2nd, Yunel Escobar doubled, two outs later Anthony Gose walked and both scored on a Rasmus double. Gose flew around the bases. The guy can run.

We got another run in the 9th, on back to back doubles from Travis Snider and Yan Gomes.

We had 9 hits, 5 of the extra base hits, but, for a rare occasion, no home runs and 5 walks. Everyone got on base at least once, except for Kelly Johnson. Colby had 2, a double and a triple and Adam Lind had 2, double and single.

Jays of the Day are Laffey (.287 WPA) and Rasmus (.179). No Suckage Jay, Kelly came close at -.090, off an 0 for 4, with a k.

Our rookies helped out on offense as well as defense. Gose was 0 for 3, with 2 strikeouts, but also took 2 walks. Nice day for him. Snider went 1 for 3, a double and a walk. He had a strikeout as well, but strike three was well off the plate, I'm not sure what the umpire saw. Gomes went 1 for 4, doubling in his last at bat, with 2 k.

It was really nice to see Travis back, he looked really good on defense, and his double, going the other way off the green monster would likely have been a home run at Rogers. Gose showed a good eye, taking those 2 walks, and also got to show off his speed and his defense. They both had great games.

Tomorrow night we have game two of the series. Carlos Villanueva (4-0, 2.68) goes against Aaron Cook (2-2, 3.34).