FanPost

Is Colby Rasmus For Real?

When he was traded last year to the Blue Jays, his performance with the club was worrisome because in 35 games he only hit .173. However this year he has proven himself to be one of the teams most important players and a future team leader. As of July 21st, he has 17 homeruns, has hit 19 doubles, a rbi total of 57 with a batting average of .247. The positives here are that he has power as we can see with a career high ISO of .224 and a respectable .471 slugging%. The power is sustainable because in his 2010 season his ISO was .222 and his slugging% was actually around 25 points higher. Also his HR/FB rate has returned to the 2010 level which means that this type of power is legit. The only worrying thing here is his BA and OBP. His best BA was in 2010 with .276 with a BABIP of .354. This number is extremely high and open to skepticism since it was his first full season. So far his BA is .247 with a BABIP of .271. His minor league BABIP was hovering around .300, and so far in the bigs this number has been in major flux. His future BA is simply unknown because it has been fluctuating so much. His OBP is more predictable to imagine because his big league average walk rate is floating around 9% and his K rate at 22%. With a career BB/K rate of .41, this does not bode well for him in the future. I doubt highly that Colby Rasmus will be batting in the 2 hole for much longer, as John Farrell has been placing him there this season. He will probably end up in the 5-6 hole to complement the other sluggers in the line-up.

Another plus this year has been defence. He has had many highlight-reel plays this year and has a defensive WAR of .9, and by the end of the season could be gold glove worthy. Colby Rasmus has a bright future with the Jays and I believe that he will be power-hitting OF complementing his great defence.