FanPost

WAR Team Rankings

Today I was looking at the latest CNNSI power rankings. CNNSI uses WAR as the primary measure of ranking the teams based on their projected WAR wins as opposed to the teams actual wins. It's not that I don't believe in advanced mathematical analysis, frankly I just never have had a long enough period to delve deep enough into understanding the nuances behind them.

Which brings me to my question, when looking at team based WAR vs individual WAR stats, how much weight should be put into the stat. For example if you look at the Red Sox and Jays. The Sox are ranked #6 with a WAR win rating of 54 wins vs 48 actual wins, while the Jays are ranked #22 with 44 War wins vs 48 actual wins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/07/23/fangraphs-power-rankings-week-15/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a1

It's not that I don't believe in WAR, but I was hoping that this would be an opportunity for members here to convice me to take the time to study WAR as opposed to traditional win loss records.