Now That Was Fun: Jays Beat A's

Jul 26, 2012; Toronto, ON, Canada; A multiple exposure shot of Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Aaron Laffey (32) delivers a pitch against the Oakland Athletics at the Rogers Centre. Mandatory Credit: Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

A's 4 Blue Jays 10

After yesterday's game, it is so nice to score 10 runs in a game.

You know things are going good when the tying and winning runs score on a Travis Snider squeeze bunt. That was a great call, Farrell. And great job on the bunt Travis. I wonder how often Travis has been asked to squeeze bunt in his baseball career? It was too bad he slipped after turning at first base when the throw hit him. I don't think the slip really cost him, he shouldn't have made the turn. He thought the ball went further away than it did, I guess. Colby Rasmus scored on the bunt and Brett Lawrie scored on throwing error. The scorer called it a infield single for Travis.

Edwin Encarnacion hit a 3 run home run in the 4th, tying the game until the A's scored again in the top of the 5th. Home run number 27 for Eddie, a new career high for him. Did anyone figure he'd hit 27 this year? We got another run in the 7th on a Kelly Johnson home run. And 4 more in the 8th. Lawrie walked, Edwin singled, Snider doubled (driving in Lawrie), sac fly for Yan Gomes (Edwin scores), Kelly doubles (Travis scores, terrible job by Yoenis Cespedes chasing the fly to the track) and Jeff Mathis doubled (driving in Kelly).

We had 12 hits. 2 Each for Lawrie (2 singles and a walk, Encarnacion (homer, single), Snider (bunt single, double), Johnson (homer, double) and Mathis (single, double). 0 fors go to Yan Gomes (but he had the sac fly) and Omar Vizquel. It didn't look good at first, A's starter Tommy Milone, was perfect through the first 3 innings.

Aaron Laffey was ok, 5.2, 5 hits, 4 earned, 3 walks, 4 k and 2 home runs. It looks good compared to yesterday's start, he kept us in the game. Brandon Lyon came in, with a runner on first and 2 out, in the 6th and did a great job. 1.1 innings with 3 strikeouts. He looked great. Darren Oliver was his usual great self, pitching a perfect 8th. Casey Janssen finished it off, even though it wasn't a save chance. He hadn't pitched since last Friday, so he needed the work.

Jays of the Day are Lawrie (.154 WPA), Edwin (.146), Travis (.130) and Lyon (.127). Honorable mention to Oliver, Rasmus and Johnson.

Tomorrow the Tigers come to town, Rick Porcello (7-5, 4.40) vs. Carlos Villanueva (5-0, 2.86).

So we are back to .500, for the 500th time this season. It was nice to see the offense today. It was also nice to see Kelly Johnson hit the ball hard twice. Maybe he'll turn things around now.

I'm taking the weekend off to watch a music festival, see if it soothes my savage breast, so if you have been burning to write the great Canadian fanpost, this would be a good weekend for it.