FanPost

Baseball Trivia of the Week: The Three True Outcome Crown

Right now Adam Dunn is the MLB leader in home runs, strikeouts and walks, putting him on pace to be the first three true outcome triple crown winner (an honour I just invented right now) since 1927. Since 1920, only one other player has done this, Babe Ruth, and he did it three times (1923, 1924 and 1927). He currently has 21 more strikeouts than the next player (Pena) and 9 more walks than the next players (Zobrist and Votto). His current hold on the home runs lead is a bit more tenuous however with several players within 2 of him. The below chart shows all the players who finished the season in first place in 2 out of the 3 categories, and how far off they were from the 3rd.

Years

Who

Off by

Position

Back by

2003

Thome

BB

3rd

37

2001

Bonds

SO

>10

N/A

1998

McGwire

SO

4th

16

1990

Fielder

BB

8th

20

1985

Evans

SO

>10

N/A

1983

Schmidt

SO

2nd

2

1982

Jackson

BB

>10

N/A

1976

Schmidt

BB

3rd

27

1975

Schmidt

BB

8th

21

1974

Schmidt

BB

5th

20

1967

Killebrew

SO

>10

N/A

1942

Williams

SO

>10

N/A

1941

Williams

SO

>10

N/A

1937

Dimaggio

BB

>10

N/A

1936

Gehrig

SO

>10

N/A

1933

Foxx

BB

4th

18

1931

Ruth

SO

>10

N/A

1930

Wilson

BB

3rd

31

1927

Ruth

N/A

N/A

N/A

1926

Ruth

SO

3rd

20

1924

Ruth

N/A

N/A

N/A

1923

Ruth

N/A

N/A

N/A

1921

Ruth

SO

3rd

7

1920

Ruth

SO

4th

12

The closest anyone has come since 1927 was Schmidt's 1983 season where he was a mere 2 strikeouts away. Another fun fact is that Ruth ruined two players' chances of taking the crown by being a master walk taker (Wilson in 1930 and Foxx in 1933). Interestingly enough (although it makes sense) there is no player who has lead the league in both strikeouts and walks who didn't also lead the league in home runs.

And that's your baseball trivia of the week.