Who's Up, Who's Down On the Blue Jays Over the Last Two Weeks: July 13 to 26

The Jays were 6-6 over the past two weeks. We've also lost a couple more guys to the DL. And there was a trade in there. It seems like every couple of weeks are eventful, but that every couple of weeks we are still at .500.

Arrow_down_3

Ricky Romero

3 starts. 1 of them was pretty good, 6 innings, 1 earned, 6 hits, 1 earned, 2 walks, 6 k, but we didn't score so he got the loss. The other 2 games were awful. 7.1 and 14 earned, 16 hits and 8 walks. Batters hit .379/.471/.603 off him over the 3 starts. I don't know what they should do.

Arrow_up_3

Carlos Villanueva 2 starts, 2 wins, 12.1, 7 hits, 3 earned, 7 walks (too many), 13 k. Batters hit .163/.280/.279. As a starter, in 4 games, he is 3-0 with a 2.31 ERA. His first few starts were good last year too, but it feels different this time.

Arrow_down_3

Henderson Alvarez

2 starts. 1 was ok, 6.0, 5 hits, 2 earned, 4 walks, 6 k and he got a no decision. The other was bad, 5.2, 8 hits, 7 earned, 1 walk, 2 k and 2 home runs, yet he got the win against the Red Sox. Batters hit .289/.353/.578 against him.

Arrow_up_3

Brett Cecil

Brett had 2 starts, neither were bad. Both would count as Quality Starts. In total, 12 innings, 11 hits, 5 earned, 4 walks and 13 k. The 13 strikeouts surprise me. He took losses in both. Sort of a marginal up arrow.

Arrow_up_3

Aaron Laffey

3 games, 17.2 innings, 21 hits, 8 earned, 6 walks, 12 strikeouts. 4.08 ERA. 2 wins and a no decision. He's been doing far better than I thought he would as a starter. Once again a very marginal up arrow.

Arrow_down_3

Chad Beck

Chad got into 5 games in these 2 weeks, for a grand total of 2.1 innings. In 12 at bats, he allowed 5 hits, 2 doubles, 1 triple, no walks, 2 strikeouts. 3 earned runs. He's back in Vegas.

Arrow_up_3

Darren Oliver

5 games, 6 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts. No earned runs. Just amazing. His last earned run came on June 25. The one before that June 2.

Arrow_up_3

Aaron Loup

Aaron's pitched in 5 games, 7.1 innings. 26 batters faced, 4 singles, 1 double, no walks, 3 k. Batters hit .154/.154/.192 and yet he allowed 3 earned runs. That's hard to understand. 2 of the runs scored after he left the game.

Arrow_up_3

Casey Janssen

He pitched 4 times, only got 1 save, a 4 out job. We didn't have many chances for saves over the last couple of weeks.. 3 hits, in 4.1 innings, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts, 1 earned.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Jason Frasor

He's on the DL now. He pitched 3 games. Two went well, a hit and a strikeout in each 1 inning outing. The other, he came into the game with 2 on, hit a batter, struck one out and then gave up a grand slam.

Arrow_down_3

Andrew Carpenter

He got lucky, he was to be DFAed, but Frasor went on the DL and Andrew is still with the team. He pitched in 3 games, gave up 4 earned, in 5.2. 3 of the runs were in our 16-0 loss to the A's. He hasn't been good. His job is long relief in blow outs.

Arrow_down_3

J.A. Happ Has pitched twice for us, one game went well, 2 quick outs. The other, he came into a close game, with a runner on, two outs and gave up a double, 2 walks and a single, turning the game into a blowout. He pitched two good innings after that. He really should only be used to start innings, at least until he gets used to the role of reliever.

Arrow_up_3

Brandon Lyon 2 appearances, 2.1 innings, no hits, no walks, 4 strikeouts. Not too bad.

Batters:

Arrow_up_3

J.P. Arencibia

He was on a hot streak, .375/.412/.781, with 3 home runs and 9 RBI, and, of course, he's hurt. Such is our luck. Get well quick.

Arrow_down_3

Anthony Gose

He hasn't been very impressive. 2 hits, one a bunt single and one a nice line drive double. He's walked twice too. No stolen bases yet and 6 strikeouts. .143/.250/.214 line. He hasn't had a chance to show off in the outfield either. I'd like to see him in CF, but I don't supposed Farrell will give Rasmus a day off anytime soon. He looks a little over matched yet, but SSS and all.

Arrow_down_3

Kelly Johnson

He had a good game today. But still it's been a bad couple of weeks, .189/.268/.378.His 2 RBI today were his only one in the 11 games he's played. 3 stolen bases, if that helps.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Yunel Escobar

Missed a couple of games with a bad back. Hit .265/.306/.412 before that. 1 steal, 2 walks, 7 k. He hasn't had a fun season.

Arrow_up_3

Edwin Encarnacion

Edwin played in all 12 games. .324/.469/.811, 12 RBI, 11 walks, 7 k, 4 home runs, 6 doubles. He's been really locked in lately. His defense at first has been surprisingly good too.

Arrow_down_3

Colby Rasmus

Colby play in all 12 games, I'm starting to wonder if he shouldn't get a game off here or there, or let Gose play center and Colby DH a couple of times. He hasn't been hitting well, .128/.192/..191, 7 RBI, 3 walks, 12 k.

Arrow_up_3

Adam Lind

He hit 316/.350/.421 the past two weeks, 7 RBI, 2 walks, 9 k, 1 home run. He might be slowing down though, he only has 3 hits in 18 at bats in the past week. I don't know. I want to think that he's figured things out, but, well, let's look in on him again in 2 weeks.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Jose Bautista

Played in 4 of the games in the time span we are looking at, before going down with the injury. He hit .231/.375/.385 in those 4 games.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brett Lawrie

Thank goodness he wasn't hurt badly. He only missed 1 game, pretty amazing. Hit .268/.340/.390. 5 RBI, 1 home run, 2 doubles, 7 runs, 4 walks, 5 k, 1 stolen base.

Arrow_down_3

Omar Vizquel

Started 4 games. .188/.188/.188. I know he was great and all, but I'm not seeing the value he brings to the team now. I wouldn't mind him as a coach.

Arrow_up_3

Travis Snider

I'm glad he's up. His defense alone makes him more fun to watch than what we've had in left until now. Hitting .304/.320/..652, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, 4 runs, 1 walk and 11 strikeouts. The strikeouts are worrying and I'd like him to walk more but he's had a pretty decent first 6 games back. I really want to see him get 500 at bats one day.

Arrow_up_3

Rajai Davis

Rajai started 8 games and got into 3 others. He hit .266/.333/.500, 4 doubles, 1 home run, 2 steals, 1 caught, 6 runs, 2 RBI, 3 walks, 7 strikeouts. Pretty good really. I like him as a 4th outfield. We've seen a lot of lefty starters lately, and Farrell has been starting him in those games. Things are going well for Rajai..

Arrow_up_3

Jeff Mathis

Played in 4 games. He'll play more over the next little while. He's been hitting well, .357/.375/.500. 1 run, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 k. Very good, hopefully he'll continue to hit well as he gets more at bats.