There Was A Game, We Lost That Too

Blue Jays 1 Mariners 4 Moonrakers -1

Not that it matters, but we lost.

Ricky Romero looked a lot better than he has. He game up 3 runs in the 2 innings, but 1 run was unearned (scoring because of a Brett Lawrie error) and the runs in the first might not have scored if the 2nd base umpire hadn't been hit by Jesus Montero line drive. It looks like Kelly Johnson would have caught the ball, if it hadn't hit the umpire, and, if he did, he would have doubled the runner off first.

After the 2nd Ricky did well. He gave up a run in the 5th off 2 doubles. In all 6 innings, 8 hits, 2 walks, 3 earned, 7 k. Not a good start but better than most have been lately. With some luck it could have gone better.

Aaron Loup and Andrew Carpenter pitched a scoreless inning each.

Our offense, the first in baseball to get to 500 runs this season, couldn't do a thing against Hisashi Iwakuma, other than Rajai Davis starting things off with a home run. It looked good for a moment. Iwakuma struck out 13 Jays in 8 innings. Our bats were awful, 4 hits, 4 walks.

Of particular note, Brett Lawrie was 0 for 4 with 4 strikeouts. After the homer, Rajai was 0 for 3 with 3 k. Also 0 for were Colby Rasmus, Edwin Encarnacion, Jeff Mathis and Anthony Gose, though Gose walked once. Gose was also called out stealing second, though replays showed he was clearly safe. A terrible call by the 2nd base umpire.

No Jay of the Day today. Honorable mention to Kelly Johnson (.088 WPA). Suckage Romero (-.260) and Jeff Mathis (-.173). I'm also giving one to Lawrie for the 4 strikeouts and error.

Tomorrow the Moonrakerless Jays play the M's complete with Eric Thames. Aaron Laffey starts for the Jays. Jason Vargas for the Mariners.