Toronto Blue Jays Acquire RHP Steve Delabar From The Seattle Mariners For OF Eric Thames

Jul 15, 2012; Seattle, WA, USA; Seattle Mariners relief pitcher Steve Delabar (35) pitches to the Texas Rangers during the 6th inning at Safeco Field. Mandatory Credit: Steven Bisig-US PRESSWIRE

The Toronto Blue Jays have acquired RHP Steve Delabar from the Seattle Mariners for OF Eric Thames, who had been playing Las Vegas 51s (AAA).

Steve Delabar, 29, was a 29th round draft pick by the San Diego Padres in 2003. He made his Major League debut last year at age 27. Delabar is a power pitcher with a mid- to upper-90's fastball, and a mid-80s changeup. He makes a pretty good late-inning guy. His WHIP this year is under 1 and he has a 11.3 K/9 rate, which are good things.

2012 - Steve Delabar 2-1 34 0 0 0 0 2 36.2 23 17 17 9 11 46 4.17 0.927

Delabar, after hitting a ceiling at high-A Lake Elsinore, went to pitch in the Canadian-American Association and the Frontier League in 2008 and 2009 before taking a break from baseball to become a substitute teacher in 2010. He was signed by the Mariners' organization in 2011 and quickly moved from high-A to AA to AAA to MLB in the same season.

Thames is expected to be in the starting lineup for the Mariners against the Blue Jays tomorrow night, and Delabar just has to remember to enter from the right clubhouse door tomorrow night to join the Toronto's bullpen.