FanPost

Why it stings so much.

Today is trade deadline day in one of my keeper leagues, I woke up to see if anyone had responded to my offers over night. I then proceeded to check my twitter feed to see what creative writing ideas Morosi, Olney, and Co. had come up with when it hit me. I saw the farewells sent to @lunchboxhero45, and like everyone else I had to take a moment to interpret the news I had just received. Gone, farewell, adios.

I then came on to BBB to read the comments and reactions of others (I weirdly find it soothing). I then started to think like some of the more 'professional' opinions. I wondered why we are so upset over Travis being traded (please don't start to think I am just another guy who is going to say he is a AAAA player).

It's true Travis hasn't lived up to his full potential yet as a Blue Jay. Many people, myself included, will point to the fact that he is 24 and that there is plenty of room left to grow. Being 24 myself, I can't believe that it is not possible for him to still improve. I think the big problem, or shock, from the deal is that it seems somewhat contradictory to the message that gets sent to Toronto sports fans a lot, PATIENCE.

Championship teams don't get built over night, build through the draft, build up the farm system...these ideas, which I do believe in, are fed to us all the time. Which is why it is so hard to see perhaps one of the best prospects this team has ever had get traded away. I suppose the time to be patient with Travis is up.

It may have been mentioned in one of the hundreds of comments made about this deal, but what has happened last night (Thames trade as well) really strikes me as an opposite to the Rasmus trade. Instead of receiving the highly touted struggling player for bullpen help, we are given up the potential young star. When was the last time the Blue Jays were on this side of the deal? It seems to me it has been years since Toronto wasn't the team getting the potential upside in return. As fans I don't know if we are prepared to respond to these "minor returns" that are intended to build up less glamorous aspects of our roster, specifically the bullpen.

My fear now is that barring some potential move to land another OF the team may have set Anthony Gose up for similar struggles as Travis Snider. At 21 years old, Gose was one of the youngest players in the PCL. We all know about his defense, speed, and arm. Those 3 tools have been big league ready for a few years already. What I struggle with is everything I read about his ability to hit. Gose also has a tendency to strike out a lot, and I don't believe he has ever had success with his batting average or OPS. If the team is pleased with Rasmus in CF than that somewhat negates Gose's value to the team. At least he could have made up for poor offensive stats with his valuable D in a key position.

Will Gose become the new Snider? Will we eventually learn to accept deals to fine tweak the roster?