Great Start For Carlos Villanueva. Jays Beat Royals

Jul 4, 2012; Toronto, ON, Canada; Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcher Carlos Villanueva (33) delivers a pitch against the Kansas City Royals at the Rogers Centre. Mandatory Credit: Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Royals 1 Blue Jays 4

I really didn't want to see Carlos Villanueva start this year, but that's two really good stats in a row. This one, 6 innings of shutout ball, 4 hits, 0 walks, 7 strikeouts. He breezed through his 6 innings. He never had more than 1 base runner in any of his innings.

Jason Frasor came in for the 7th. He walked the leadoff hitter, but got a nice double play. Then a single and a triple hit in front of Rajai Davis. He really should have played the ball on the hop and it really should have been an error. But, Frasor got out of the inning allowing just that one run. Darren Oliver pitched the 8th and Casey Janssen got the easy, 3 run save in the 9th. Really, it is a waste of Casey's talent to have him out there for the 9th with a 3 run lead. Managers shouldn't be worried about building stats for players. But that's the way things are going to be done.

On offense, we did enough. 12 hits added up to just 4 runs. Everyone in the lineup had a hit. Two hits each for Brett Lawrie, Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion. We got runs on sac flies by Kelly Johnson, Yunel Escobar and Rajai. Yunel also drove in a run with a single in the 7th. Only 2 of the 13 hits went for extra bases, a very nice opposite field triple for Rajai and an opposite field double for Adam Lind.

Jay of the Day is Carlos (.312 WPA). No suckage Jays.

There were some nice defensive plays, Edwin made a great catch on a line drive hit down the 1st baseline. Lawrie made his usual couple of nice plays. Colby had an error on a ball he did a nice job of cutting off, but then dropped the ball, costing us a base.

Great game, we had a good time in the game thread, thanks to everyone that participated. Tomorrow we finish out the series with the Royals. Henderson Alvarez (5-6, 4.15) coming off a good start, goes for the Jays. Luke Hochevar (5-8, 5.23) starts for the Royals.

After the game, the Jays sent Scott Richmond back to Vegas. They aren't saying who is coming up. Unfortunately it won't be Travis Snider. Dollars to donuts it's Moyer.