Toronto Blue Jays Grant LHP Jamie Moyer His Unconditional Release

DENVER, CO - MAY 16: Starting pitcher Jamie Moyer #50 of the Colorado Rockies tips his cap to the crowd as he leaves the game against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Coors Field on May 16, 2012 in Denver, Colorado. Moyer went six and one-third innings en route to the win as the Rockies defeated the Diamondbacks 6-1. (Photo by Justin Edmonds/Getty Images)

The Toronto Blue Jays have released LHP Jamie Moyer, 49, after two starts for the AAA Las Vegas 51s, according to the 51s' official Twitter feed. Moyer had previously been released by the Colorado Rockies and the Baltimore Orioles this season. His last Major League appearance came on May 27 for the Rockies.

Two days after Moyer was released by the Orioles, he signed a minor league contract with the Blue Jays on the condition that he would be given his release if he does not get promoted after two trial starts with the 51s. It is now apparent that his two starts were not good enough to convince Alex Anthopoulos that he can contribute better in the Major Leagues than the current options.

Pitching against the Reno Aces Tuesday, Moyer threw 6 innings, giving up 7 earned runs on 10 hits (including a homer) over 6 innings, striking out 3 while issuing 2 walks. In his first game with Vegas, Moyer pitched 5 innings while giving up 2 homers, but he struck out 6 and only walked 1.

I listened to half of the game and Moyer pitched better than what that line suggested. In the 4-run Reno 5th, Lead off hitter and former Blue Jays farmhand Ryan Budde singled on a popup that was allowed to drop, then the catcher, not known at all for his speed, managed to steal 2B on Moyer and Yan Gomes. Jake Elmore then hits what would have been a 6-3-5 inning-ending double play, but Budde managed to slide around Mike McCoy's tag even though the ball beat the runner by a significant margin. A double and a homer later and Moyer and the 51s found themselves down 4-3. In the 6th, Moyer started to tire and gave up two consecutive hits to begin the inning, before Ryan Budde (him again!) succeded in putting down a suicide squeeze, and Gomes was just a bit late to tag out the runner from 3rd. So, Moyer did not pitch well exactly, but it was not as bad as that ugly line suggested.

So that spells the end of Jamie Moyer's brief tenure in the Blue Jays organization. Wherever he decides on next--another minor league contract or retirement, I wish him all the best. Unless he signs with another AL East team, of course.