FanPost

Fun with Sickels

I posted earlier that John Sickels of minorleaguebaseball.com had posted his mid-season top 120 prospects list.

Just for fun, I took his list and assigned a value to each position. I gave the top-ranked player (Jurickson Profar of TEX) 120 points and the 120th-ranked player (Elier Hernandez of KC) one point. I then calculated the total points for each MLB organization.

On this (admittedly simplistic!) basis, the top 5 point-getters are as follows:

Toronto - 7 players, 504 points

St. Louis - 7 / 473 points

Seattle - 6 / 439

Pittsburgh - 6 / 434

Boston - 7 / 386

And (in case you were curious!) the 5 worst?

Cleveland - 1 player, 96 points

LA Dodgers - 2 / 85

San Fran - 2 / 75

Milwaukee - 1/14

and, pulling up the rear ...

Chicago White Sox - 0 / 0!

Other interesting findings: the Yankees were 11th at 4 / 267. And KC, which used to be considered to have the strongest farm system, was only 7th at 7 / 361.

In a sense, the drop in ranking of organizations like WAS and TB is due to their success in promoting their top talent to the MLB level. So the lower ranking - at least in the short term - represents a success rather than a failure. But certainly the top ranking of the Jays bodes well for the future - both in terms of talent which will end up on the major league club and in terms of potential trade-bait.