2012 Home Run Derby Open Thread

PHOENIX, AZ - JULY 11: American League All-Star Jose Bautista #19 of the Toronto Blue Jays participates in the first round of the 2011 State Farm Home Run Derby at Chase Field on July 11, 2011 in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the Home Run Derby or other topics. Because it's not a normal GameThread, you can post pictures and GIFs, but go easy or one of the mods would have to ban them. The rules about not being horrible and not asking for or posting illegal streams still apply.

The televised event begins at 8:00 pm Eastern on Sportsnet in Canada (and ESPN in the United States). There is a half-hour preview starting at 7:30 pm.

Jose Bautista will be the lone representative from the Toronto Blue Jays. Since 2010, Bautista has hit 124 homers, 32 more than runner-up Albert Pujols. This would be the 11th time a Blue Jay has been at the Home Run Derby. The past 10 have hit a total of 41 home runs.

If you need a rule refresher, take a look at this post at the Sporting News.

Home Run Derby Participants

National League

  1. Captain Matt Kemp
  2. Carlos Beltran (Cardinals)
  3. Carlos Gonzalez (Rockies)
  4. Andrew McCutchen (Pirates)

Not participating due to injury: Giancarlo Stanton (Marlins)

American League

  1. Captain Robinson Cano (Yankees)
  2. Jose Bautista (Blue Jays)
  3. Prince Fielder (Tigers)
  4. Mark Trumbo (Angels)

Before the Derby, vote for who you think will win tonight's contest (polls close promptly at 8:10 pm Eastern).

GO JOSE GO!!!