Bad Start For Aaron Laffey, Jays Lose To Mariners

Jul 31, 2012; Seattle, WA, USA; Toronto Blue Jays right fielder Moises Sierra (14) hits a single against the Seattle Mariners during the 3rd inning at Safeco Field. Mandatory Credit: Steven Bisig-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays 2 Mariners 7

Aaron Laffey wasn't impressive at all. I wonder if that will be his last start. They really have to get Happ into the rotation. Laffey went 4.2, gave up 9 hits, 7 earned, 2 walks and 0 strikeouts. Zero strikeouts. It went bad right from the start, Dustin Ackley took his first pitch over the right field wall. Aaron allowed 3 more runs in the 2nd, 1 in the 4th and 2 in the 5th.

Our bullpen pitched 3.1 innings scoreless innings, though Brandon Lyon gave up a single that scored 2 runs. Those runs counted against Laffey. Lyon had 3 strikeouts in 1.1 innings, with just the 1 single allowed. We got to see Steve Delabar, he looked good, 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 k. His fastball hit 97 MPH, according to Game Day. Andrew Carpenter pitched the 8th, giving up a hit and a walk, with a k.

Our offense did next to nothing. 6 hits total. Our runs scored on a Brett Lawrie double, driving in Jeff Mathis and Moises Sierra, who ran right through Brian Butterfield's stop sign, but he was safe easily. Lawrie had 2 hits and our only extra base hit, that double. Yunel Escobar, Rajai Davis, Mathis and Sierra had our other singles. We also struck out 8 times. David Cooper, our improbable cleanup hitter had 2 of the strikeouts and really didn't look good at the plate.

Brett Lawrie (.123 WPA) gets Jay of the Day. Suckage goes to Laffey (-.336).

Sierra looked pretty good. He only had the 1 hit, a line drive to center field, but his other at bats weren't bad. And he showed good speed, scoring from 1st on Lawrie's double.

It wasn't a fun game, and we are back under .500. Teams always look lifeless when they aren't hitting and the Jays really looked lifeless today.

Tomorrow Carlos Villanueva tries to get us back to .500 (for the 18th time this season). Carlos is 6-0, with a 2.92 ERA. Blake Beavan (6-6, 5.20) gets to see how many Jays he can strikeout.

Please John, think about giving Happ Laffey's spot in the rotation next time around.