Blue Jays Sign Jeff Mathis To Two Year Extension

The Blue Jays have signed Jeff Mathis to a 2-year extension, for $3 million and club option for 2014 for another $1.5 million.

Mathis, 29, is batting .215/.252/.415 with nine doubles, six home runs and 19 RBI in 46 games with Toronto this year. He has also thrown out 39% of base steals so far this year. . In 472 career games has hit .196/.256/.312 in 8 major league seasons with the Angels (2005-2011) and Blue Jays (2012).

So 2 more years of Mathis. Doesn't hurt I guess, but I could see J.P. Arencibia and Travis d'Arnaud sharing the job next year. I guess that's not to be. Mathis hasn't looked terrible in the full time role since JP went on the DL. Still doesn't hit much.

Latest News