FanPost

The Melkman Won't Be Coming Round No More

Breaking news out of San Francisco: Melky Cabrera suspended for 50 games for testing positive for PEDs which was first reported July 27th and denied by the player and organization. Speculation is that the positive test was appealed giving the Giants time to seek a replacement on the trade market while they still had a little leverage and not such a gaping hole in their already dismal offence.

The organization which enjoyed the success of the greatest baseball player to never be elected to the Hall of Fame will suffer through the loss of one of the best out-of-nowhere stars (who was quietly questioned in the back of everyone's minds and turned out to actually be a performance-enhancing pumpkin-eating cheater).

Admirably, Melky has come out with statement accepting full responsibility for his actions and has forgone the understandably tempting 'tainted sample' defence.

The extension talks with the Giants recently stalled which likely had something to do with the fact that he would not be able to play for the remainder of the year and is unclear how effective he would be upon his return. Melky lost a lot of leverage in his pending FA negotiations and many suspect he will be forced to prove himself on a one-year deal for much less than he would have made without the positive test.

Would you sign Melky to a three-year deal for ~$8-9MM/year to be the Blue Jays' left-fielder despite the positive test? Is a player coming off PED suspension a market inefficiency that AA would be willing to exploit? Will Melky turn back into pumpkin when he runs out of Cindarella's fairy Godmother's testosterone-laden pixie dust? Or is he a truly talented player like Ryan Braun that will continue to perform after the dust settles?