Good Start For Ricky Romero, Adeiny Hechavarria Hits His First MLB Home Run. Still Blue Jays Lose

Aug. 27, 2012; Bronx, NY, USA; Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria (3) high fives center fielder Colby Rasmus (28) after hitting a solo home run against the New York Yankees during the fifth inning at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Debby Wong-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays 1 Yankees 2

The good news is that Ricky Romero had a great start, 7 innings, 5 hits (all singles), 2 walks and 6 strikeouts. The Yankees were lucky to get the 2 runs. 3 ground ball singles in the 3rd got their first run. A walk, wild pitch and single in the 4rd scored their other run. Really, in that bandbox of a park, giving up just 2 runs in 7 innings should buy you a win.

The other good news was that Adeiny Hechavarria hit his first MLB home run. An opposite field shot, helped by the ballpark, but we'll count it anyway.

Other than that, we did nothing on offense. 4 hits and 3 walks in total. Yunel Escobar hit a double to the left field wall, unfortunately the spot where Yankee Stadium is deep. Moises Sierra had the other 2 hits, both singles.

We also had a couple of base running mishaps that didn't help. Rajai Davis was caught stealing in the first. Surprised me, I didn't think Russell Martin had the arm to throw out Davis. Then in the 6th, Colby Rasmus and Edwin Encarnacion walked to start the inning. Colby moved up to third on a sac fly but then stupidly got doubled off third on a Escobar line out to second. Colby should have been more careful, if the ball had made it over Cano, Colby could have walked home. There was no need to get so far off the bag.

We also had some miscommunicationin the outfield, not that it led to a hit, but Colby and Rajai really could learn to communicate out there.

Jays of the Day are Romero (.141 WPA, yay Ricky) and I'm going to give one to Hechavarria, because I figure if you get your first home run, you should get a JoD. Suckage goes to Yunel (-.232, even with the double), Lind (-.167, 0 for 4) and Torrealba (-.138, 0 for 4).

Tomorrow we have an afternoon game. 1:00 Eastern. J.A. Happ (2-1, 4.15 as a Jay) takes on the Yankees and CC Sabathia (13-3, 3.44), making his second start after coming back from the DL.